1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Dvd-Rw Drive Won't Read Discs.

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by SPRINGHEEL, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SPRINGHEEL

SPRINGHEEL

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hey guys. I'm new here, My issue is I'm putting a DVD-RW in my laptop's RW drive. It wouldn't read. I put it on other friend's laptops and t worked fine. I wouldn't see in My Computer the symbol that the DVD has been accepted. As if there was no CD entered in the drive. I would put the DVD-RW in and I would click on the DVDRW symbol and it will say. "No disc" and my drive will open.

Is this a software or a hardware issue? help please

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi SPRINGHEEL. Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    Run Microsoft "FIXIT" and post back.
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

3. SPRINGHEEL

SPRINGHEEL

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Tried it the first time and didn't work. I'll try it again. while I do. Any other suggestions pls?

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Anything odd showing in "Device Manager" under DVD/CD-ROM Drives?
    Does it read any other discs?
    Make sure you have all your Windows updates.

5. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    There may be a solution out there waiting for you but in my experience the optical drives in most laptops are garbage. The work sometimes and not others and fail often. You can try different kinds of disks as sometimes a + will work but a - will not and vice versa. Replacing the drive is a very simple task with the only hard part being the plastic face plate so it aligns well with the case.

6. royabriant

royabriant Guest

Did you try to boot off a cd? If a program caused this it only affects it when its loaded up, which is why I've tried to get you to boot off a cd, the more intense the reading off the disk the better. Its done completely outside of the Windows environment then, eliminating software conflicts.
    Have a look here how they work: http://www.techyv.com/questions/cd-rom-and-dvd-rom-know-about-its-and-its-work

7. vanquisher

vanquisher Guest

Hello,

You need to go into computer management and then scan for the devices and you will find it will come up. If it dosent then you need to show it to an expert. I too had this problem but it was sorted out by an expert. go to www.comantra.net and mail them or contact them through phone and they will sort it out for you.

Thanks.