1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD-R vs DVD-RW Discs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, May 7, 2016.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    In my 2004 Sansui DVR I used 1x Princo DVD-RW and 4x DVD-R. Though I prefer -R for most recording I like to have -RW now and then for a definite non-keepable. I have plenty of 4x DVD-R but no more 1x DVD-RW have I found. Some TDK 4x DVD-RW failed to work or format (wrong disc message). Since the Princo 4x -R discs always worked is it reasonable to assume the Princo 4x -RW would also work? Need opinion before risking ordering any. Even if I found some already recorded from before, I have found the -RW go bad after awhile and prefer new ones. Now trying to find some Princo 4x DVD-RW in case I decide to try some.

2. Rustys

Rustys Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    If the -R work then the -RW will work as well.

When was the last time you cleaned the lens on the burner? If you know some on that has another brand of the -RW you may wan to barrow one and try it.

I have always had good luck with the Memorex.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good idea. I blew some compressed air in the tray a week ago then the disc that would not read worked fine. So I may first take DVR apart and actually clean the lens and maybe this will work also. I can then dig out any old -RW I used before and see if it works and also try the ones that did not. If they work I dont need to buy any if the TDK's will work.

4. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Why not just get the lens cleaning disk and use that?

They are carried in most electronic stores or departments.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Tried a -RW 1x Princo and it formatted and recorded. Tried a TDK 1-4x -RW and could not format or record. Dont understand the electronics of these discs but since the Princo 1x -RW worked as do the 4x -R, and since i know how to open DVR and clean the lens manually, I think it may be the different brand and I will chance the Princo 4x -RW since the 4x -R work. Have some Memorex -R 1-16x that some work and some do not and I labeled them unreliable. Also something called "Sonic".I have come to conclusion discs are just "iffy" devices.

Now I cannot find the -RW 4x blank. Reason for -RW is so dont ruin a disc if questionable content or dont like it afterward, or intend only to view once. Since princo is only kind that has consistently worked well, I'm not sure what to do next. May have to just try something if I want -RW. I doubt more cleaning will help a disc that just wasnt meant for this machine.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Might be best to not use -RW at all but just record a minute on -R to be sure disc works. And use VHS tape if really dont think I want to keep it. Can erase that. seems like best option.

7. Rustys

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Why not record to VHS and if you deiced that you want to keep it then put it to DVD.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good idea. Used to dub VHS that I wanted to keep to DVD so easier to play.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Made a test DVD-RW recording and equipment worked fine. Used SP so could test whole disc. As before and in different machines the RW disc after the halfway point began freezing, skipping, sound-stuttering and not responding unless turn off machine and back on. This is last blank 1x -RW disc I have and have found them to be so unreliable I will not buy any more. VHS isnot as convenient as discs although may be more reliable, and I do have some if need them. The 4x or 1-4x DVD-R I always use are discontinued or hard to find but almost never found a bad disc. They now have 8x in that brand and I am not sure I want to risk the cost of a spindle to see if they work. Maybe company will send me a sample although it would only prove that disc worked. Or didnt.
    And I am not sure if the disc is always the fault or it could be the reader lens. I have never in my history cleaned a reader lens that I recall. Used to clean VHS machines and cassette tape machines routinely with cleaning tapes. I am considering buying a reader cleaning DVD disc just to try since inexpensive and never cleaned any of the machines which I have and have used a lot. Just for routine maintenance if nothing else. Easier than disconnecting, disassembling, taking to work area, cleaning, then doing the reverse again. Do you find the reader cleaning discs to be effective?

10. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Got a Memorex DVD/CD lens cleaning disc from WalMart today. Players are up to 15 years old and never cleaned any.

11. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The laser in an optical drive may be a bit weak after 15 years. Of course that depends on how much it got used.