1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD drive issue

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by accelleon, Aug 3, 2013.

1. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I have not been able to read a DVD burned on another laptop of mine, I burned the DVD on my laptop because I was unable to burn the disc on this computer. I was using ImgBurn to burn an iso file however it failed with Power Calibration Area error, yet the same disc burned perfectly on the laptop. I have also tested the disc on another computer and it worked fine too. The DVD drive has absolutely no problem reading other DVDs burned by a manufacturer such as the re-installation disc. I have refreshed the driver by uninstalling it, as well as updated the firmware. The computer is a dell inspiron 530 running windows vista. Any help is appreciated as i am some-what experienced but how it could read manufactured DVDs but not burned ones is puzzling.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    We need to know what OS you are running.
    Many reasons why this could be happening.
    Try this first.

Disable IMAPI Service
    Launch Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services .
    Browse for "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service", Right-click on it and select properties.
    Change Startup Type to Disabled.
    Click Apply and Reboot.

3. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Thank you.

I'm running Vista 32-bit SP1, and I actually cannot find the IMAPI service, I've seen that fix other sites and attempted to follow it but couldn't find the service. I've followed a similar fix editing the registry, I set IsImapiDataBurnSupported to 0 for the DVD drive, to no avail.

4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Have you removed the upper and lower filter values in the registry.
    They could be corrupt.
    Have you run Microsoft FIXIT?
    Tell us what you have tried? please.

Some brands of Blank Discs some CD/DVD burners wont read.
    Also burning ISO's too fast can cause issues.

5. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    I have run Microsoft FIXIT. The upper and lower filters is something i am not familiar with so no.
    And it should be worth noting it is a bootable DVD, however when attempting to boot, it isn't recognized as such.

As for the brand, I've used the same DVD's a few months ago to burn a linux flavor and it worked fine. The disc was burned at a speed of 4x if i remember correctly, as well as the DVD's worked fine on 2 other computers.

6. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  7. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Ok, i tried another DVD that I've burned on this computer from an ISO and know for a fact previously worked on this computer and no luck, however instead of just saying its an empty disc, my cursor just cycles between the normal cursor and the CD read cursor, but nothing happens. I deleting the upper filter value, there was no lower filter, still nothing.

Edit: Tried another DVD i burned, and it recognized it but took an exceptionally long time, however when i attempt to read it, it told me there was no disc, when i opened and closed the tray it actually let browse the files. I'm now going to try the original disc in question, ill get back to you.

8. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, DSTM is away now and he asked if I would look in for you.

I am a little concerned now that you say it did once burn and read disks that it isn't doing so now, have you one of the head cleaning disks you can buy?
    If so I would try that, it just may be a bit of dirt on the head. It can happen that a bit of loose dust on a previous disk got stuck.

I was also thinking of disk types, DVD+ or DVD- Though I would have thought the drive wouldn't be too old to be able to handle both.

Information about the drive might help, if you don't know it, Speccy from Piriform should be able to find it. Download and install the free version, you don't need the pro paid for versions :-

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Be aware to remove any ticks for unwanted bundled junk that you don't want while installing.
    Once it is installed and opened, click on the Optical drives icon it should give you a decent amount of information.
    As an example here is what it tells me about my drive.

Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N SCSI CdRom Device
    Media Type DVD Writer
    Name HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N SCSI CdRom Device
    Availability Running/Full Power
    Capabilities Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media
    Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Config Manager Error Code Device is working properly
    Config Manager User Config FALSE
    Drive E:
    Media Loaded FALSE
    SCSI Bus 1
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 2
    SCSI Target Id 1
    Status OK

The bit in blue is what it will read and write.

Nev.

9. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Ok, give him my regards, and thank you in advance for your time.
    I have cleaned the lens and and i know for a fact the media is supported as its the same media and brand, actually the same stack, i used to be able to work with. The media is DVD-RW.

Here's what Speccy gives if its any help, i find it odd that it states Media Loaded to be false when Windows tells me there is a blank disc in the drive.

Media Type DVD Writer
    Name PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S ATA Device
    Availability Running/Full Power
    Capabilities Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media
    Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Config Manager Error Code Device is working properly
    Config Manager User Config FALSE
    Drive E:
    Media Loaded FALSE
    SCSI Bus 1
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 1
    SCSI Target Id 0
    Status OK

10. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi again, thanks for that and the information, if the lens is cleaned, and still no joy, I am afraid it is looking like a faulty head, we have tried everything else and only a replacement drive is going to prove it one way or the other.

The fact there is a blank disk in it and still showing as there is nothing there, means it hasn't been detected which is a big clue to the drive being faulty.

Nev.

11. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Im not entirely ready to make the leap to believe its faulty, i can read manufactured DVD's such as the res-installation disc that came with vista, i believe when i wake up ill try swapping the DVD drive and seeing if it works in another computer or if the other computer's works in here. Ill be needing some sleep so ill get back to you when ive tried this.

Oh and its a full disc, Windows thinks its blank, but is aware there is something in the drive, Speccy thinks there is nothing.

12. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, do try swapping it over and let us know what happens. It is in post #7 where you said it firstly took a long time, then after opening and reclosing the drawer you could read it. That is an intermittent thing that could be a break or crack in the fine wire from the read head, or even a sticking head.
    Laptop drives being a bit lighter construction than a full desktop drive, are notorious for mechanical or electrical failures.

Nev.

13. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    This is a desktop drive in question, the laptop drive is what i burned the disc on. And, ok i swapped it into another desktop and i get the usual no disc/empty disc, It seems to not always detect the burned DVD as it doesn't even spin up when it states there's no disc. However i tried a printer installation disc, worked perfectly. I still find this odd, what makes the burned DVD different from one from a manufacturer?

14. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, there is actually quite a big physical difference between the two.
    A manufactured disk is pressed in an injection moulding press from a master disk which creates definite pits in the surface of the finished disk, it is these pits that the laser sensor reads as it moves across the disk, being manufactured in this way the pits provide a very strong signal which even a failing or low sensitivity sensor can still read.
    However a burned disk doesn't have the same depth of pit created, and in fact in the case of a rewritable disk it is a chemical change where the pits are represented by a colour difference only, thus a failing read head sensor will not be sensitive enough to pick up the differences.

There are two different articles on Wikipedia describing first how a manufactured disk is made, here :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing

And also how a rewritable disk is made and why sensitivity of the read head needs to be high, here :-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Rewritable

It is this obvious failing sensitivity that made me ask if you had a head cleaning disk as a small speck of dust or other contamination on the lens will reduce the sensitivity of the sensor.
    These sensors don't always just totally fail, they can just lose sensitivity as I think is what has happened to yours.

Nev.

15. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If you're writing to DVD RW, try a DVD R. There was an issue where some DVD RW would only play on the machine they were burned with. It has to do with tracking tolerances and difference between different drives.

16. accelleon

accelleon

Operating System:
    Ah ok thank you for clearing that up, that makes alot more sense as to why the burned disc fails to read, i guess it is just worn out then. Although it is weird i could read one of the DVDs i burned about 2 months ago.

And i actually don't have any other discs on hand nor able to get more, I don't really have the money to spend on that, that's why i came here instead of looking into a replacement DVD drive at all.
    And the disc i burned worked on both computers i tested it with, just not this one which makes sense if its worn.
    Thank all of you for your time, maybe one of my computer savvy friends has a spare.
    This is a really cool forum, and has a great staff, much better than professional help.