1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Dvd/cdrom Occasional Failure

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by shortysdohdoh, Sep 11, 2011.

1. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hi everyone.

I have been having a problem with my CD drive. I have a Buffalo DVSM-H55N (JP) series drive I purchased from a store out in tokyo. Everything was fine after I installed it. As time went on, somewhere along the line my drive stopped functioning properly. I was pretty much just ignoring it until recently, I've been wanting to try Ubuntu but I couldn't burn a copy because my drive wasn't working.

The drive is listed in My Computer. Device Manager says it's working properly. Microsoft's auto "Fix it" tool is telling me there is no readable media in my drive. When I put in any type of disc, it doesn't respond or do anything, and the status in My Computer still reads "DVD-RAM Drive D:". Upon opening and clicking refresh nothing happens.

First thing I did was try to update the firmware of my drive but my firmware is the most recent, so I couldn't.

So I started uninstalling some things. I had a copy of Magic ISO on my pc I uninstalled, and then found a program called Magic Disc that wouldn't let me uninstall it. So I went into Device Manager and uninstalled the driver for the Magic ISO virtual drive my pc was detecting.
    reboot: no progress. the Magic ISO virtual drive is still there.

I deleted the driver once more and powered down the PC and opened up the case. I did a 5 min dust job and checked the IDE cable connected to my drive. Looked to be plugged in fine, I unplugged it from the drive and plugged it back in. Gave a good push on the connection into the mainboard to make sure the connection was snug. powered up my pc: walah, it was working! I burned a copy of Kubuntu onto a blank disc and rebooted onto my secondary HD. nothing.... I figured I messed something up.

booted up my main HD to burn the Alternate CD for Kubuntu just to find out that my disc drive wasn't working again. Now I figured it was a cable issue. I powered down and tried fooling with the cable again. didn't work.

I downloaded a program to force uninstall the magic disc program, successful (virtual drive disappeared) but no effect regarding my drive. By this point I thought it might be a BIOS setting, so I checked. I didn't see anything out of the norm except the boot priority, I changed it so the drive boots before my HD. no effect

I thought maybe it was a registry issue so I deleted the Upperfilter (ehow.com). No effect, except it crashed windows explorer once, immediately after I rebooted.

I'm lost. It's probably something so simple and I have no clue. Can someone please lend some helpful advice?

2. PseFrank

PseFrank Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi shorty, and welcome to CHF.

Do you have an old drive kicking about that you could try...or could you borrow one from a friend maybe?

3. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hi Frank, thanks.

I wish I could say I did, haha. unfortunately I don't :(

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Shorty. You have tried most of the fixes I would have tried.
    Try swapping the power cable from the PSU and see if that makes any difference.
    What program did you use to get rid of magic ISO? Was it Uniblue?
    Magic Disc is part of Magic ISO.
    I have a feeling the registry is corrupted from using Cleaners.
    If it turns out your Registry is corrupted you may have to do a Repair Install of the OS.
    Have you the XP Pro Disc?
    Is this Computer overclocked at all?

5. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    DSTM, Hi and thanks!
    For the uninstall I used RevoUninstallerPro
    I guessed that MagicDisc was the reason Device Manager kept saying I had a MagicISO virtual drive.

You said cleaners, you mean, Adaware, Spybot, etc?
    Yes I do have the XP disc.
    No, my PC is not overclocked.

6. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    By Cleaners DSTM, was refering to registry cleaners, Optimisers, that promise to speed up your system, till they get things wrong then all stops working ;)

7. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Ok, finally got around to trying to boot up my OS disc.... confirmed the correct boot priority settings in BIOS and tried to load up the disc, a screen pops up with a blinking cursor like it's going to load the disc, but then goes away and windows loads up normally. I could not boot the disc to do repair install. Also, I started receiving this error a few days ago... Maybe because I deleted the lower filter?
    [​IMG]

8. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi. Reverse your registry changes and see what gives.
    If this doesn't work then I suggest a repair install.
    Do you know exactly how to do a repair install of the OS?
    I always disconnect all hard drives except the one with the OS on.
    Putting the OS CD in a moment before turning off your Computer and selecting restart, it should then boot from the CD.
    Then it will ask you to hit a keyboard key to continue.

9. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    DTSM

Thanks, I am not sure how to reverse a change made in registry, how do I do that?
    Also, I tried your advice, putting in the CD before hitting restart. Before XP loaded up, there was a black screen with a blinking cursor for about 15 seconds, but I was not given an option to "boot from CD", and Windows XP started up as usual. So I restarted again and this time during the blinking cursor, I tried pressing a few keys. This time the blinking cursor never stopped, I waited for 5 minutes and nothing happened, just the cursor was still blinking.
    I hit restart on my CPU and was going to give up, but this time I was given the option to boot from CD, so I did.

While Setup was configuring, there was an option to do ASR (automated system recovery) by pressing F2 before SETUP loaded. I skipped the option because I think there is a "repair" option after it loads up right? Anyway, while SETUP was loading, it suddenly stopped and said:

File \i386\vgaoem.fon could not be loaded.
    The error code is 7
    Setup cannot continue, press any key to exit

After that, I was not given the option to boot from CD again. So I decided to tell you what happened before I did anything else.

10. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You can only reverse your changes in the registry if you remember what changes you made.
    Follow this "How to do a repair reinstall with XP" The best tutorial I have come across.
    Follow each step carefully and read each step.There are 2 parts.
    The tut will tell you the right time to press R for repair.
    Once you hit any key initially to boot from CD, DON'T hit a key to continue, just wait and it will do it automatically.
    http://pcsupport.abo...stxprepair1.htm
    As a safeguard have all your data backed up if possible,
    If you do the repair install correctly you won't lose any data.
    You will have to go to Windows and reinstall all your updates. No big deal, just takes time.
    See how you go.

11. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    DSTM,

A few factors considered, I have decided to do a clean install. After successfully doing a fresh install, it looks like the updated video card drivers I downloaded didn't work, so I am now in the process of trying to install again.

When I say "in the process" what I mean is, my computer will only recognize and give me an option to "boot from disc" SOMETIMES. Sometimes I get no option and the blinking cursor disappears instantly only to continue into the OS, other times I get no option and I'm stuck on the blinking cursor.

If it's not a registry issue, then it must be the drive or BIOS correct? Everytime I restart my pc after a failed CD boot, I have to go into BIOS and correct the boot priority, and everytime I finish I press "exit & save changes". It's not saving when I hit the reset button.

12. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Having trouble editing my post... "CKEDITOR not defined"

edit: I already switched out the IDE cable connected to the disc drive with a new one, and a power cable to the PSU as well. No change.

13. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    edit: Thank god for ExpressGate...

Inside express gate, it shows that I have the Windows CD in my drive, but I am still having trouble trying to boot from it.... Inside express gate, it won't show me when I have Gparted in my drive, however, I was able to successfully boot from my Gparted disc about 1 hour ago.

14. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    To save changes in the Bios you press the F10 Key normally, then a box comes up "OK" Then you press "Enter" to save changes.
    Can you get into safe mode tapping F8 repeatedly on boot up?
    I would run CHKDSK /R from command prompt to make sure your Hard Drive is OK.
    Start > All programs > Accessories > Command prompt > Type CHKDSK /R and hit enter making sure there is a space after CHKDSK.

15. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I went to the store and picked up an inexpensive CD/DVD drive, everything works perfectly now.

16. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I took a look at the drive that came with my laptop in 2003 and did a visual comparison with the one I got in 2010 and they were virtually identical. I am beginning to think that once the drivers are confirmed and you use the Microsoft fix 90% of the time you may just as well replace the thing. Glad you got it sorted.

17. shortysdohdoh

shortysdohdoh

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I appreciate the help every step of the way, thanks DSTM, and thanks for the kind words BeeCeeBee