1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Dimming On Its Own

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by BLUEOVALFITTER, May 14, 2017.

1. BLUEOVALFITTER

BLUEOVALFITTER Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    HP 2000-299 WM Notebook PC

Sometimes, just out of the blue, my laptops background will get a bit dim.
    I have my battery/power settings set on HP RECOMMENDED. When it gets dim the settings change to POWER SAVER by itself. I then go set it back on HP RECOMMENDED and it will stay set there for hours, days, months, then, it just gets dim again. I just recently installed a new battery, but, it was doing this before the new battery was installed.
    Is my laptop possessed?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yup, it's possessed. Or maybe, it's just a Windows thing or maybe it's an HP thing.

This machine probably came with Windows 7. Did you upgrade to Windows 10? I've read reports that the behaviour you experience may be due to the upgrade. Some machines just don't take the upgrade perfectly.

3. BLUEOVALFITTER

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    OH NO! No Windows 10 for moi! I have Windows 7 Home Premium still installed.
    My friend told me that Windows does not acknowledge Windows 7 any more. He stated that eventually I will HAVE TO install Windows 10. FIGHT THE POWER! LOL!
    Any way, what's wrong with my laptops dimming problem? :blink:

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No worries. You won't have to install W10 on that machine. I'm still running XP on my most-used computer.

I haven't encountered the power setting change you're seeing. I did some research and found that you're not alone. Others are having the same issue. I haven't come up with an answer.

Do you see this when the laptop is plugged in to AC power or just when it's on battery? My guess is that it doesn't happen when the AC power adapter is plugged in.

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Rustys likes this.
  6. BLUEOVALFITTER

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thank you for your replies.
    It's supposed to dim when running on the battery. But, it dims with the plug in as well. That's what I'm trying to figure out, the latter of the two. I will go to the Windows link you provided to see if they have an answer.