1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] Dialup Connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BGBG, May 13, 2015.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    New Issue. Since uninstalling 5Kplayer some program is causing dialup Connection to start. Nothing have I set to connect automatically and this never happened before uninstalling 5Kplayer. It doesnt go to a webpage,just connects. If I unplug modem or cancel or restart, it just keeps on trying to connect over and over as long as PC is on. Suspect player has something on PC that causes it to dial a connection. Any idea how I can find out what is causing this and stop it? Could be something else but suspect the player.
    Sometimes the DialUp acts up and I have to retype in some settings and password. If no suggestions I will have to wait and see. I dont see how I can uninstall a program and it still be dialing connection.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Oops-should have started new topic. Sorry. Anyway, I think this IS a DialUp/ISP issue. The settings keep changing and sometimes cannot connect or if connect the mail server cannot be found. I attribute this to working on the system or something and feeling no need to explain it. Proxy settings boxes keep being checked, but unless I uncheck I cant get to web pages. Then later they are checked again. Dont think there is any fixable issue here. A 'live with it' thing. Not happening now anyway.

3. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    There is definitely something wrong if that keeps happening, BG.
    After you uncheck the boxes, are you clicking Apply and Okay?

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I think the ISP may be able to change the settings or something. Ive noticedwhen I disconnect and connect again things change. Today it said wrong user name password. I went to the dial box and where I set it for Save for anyone who uses this computer, after a few connects it will say Me Only and I have to change it or type in password to connect. And if I am connected it will disconnect me in exactly 12 hours, almost to the second. So if I have a long download I will disconnect and reconnect again before starting. Dont do large DL often and can usually get them in 12 hours if I do, and dont need the speed or trust Comcast, Verizon, or wish to incur the cost. It would be nice but dont really need it. But a lot of the glitches I think is the ISP doing maintenance or other things. I just wait and after awhile it is OK again. Have not had the reconnect redial thing happen again since I first mentioned it.
    Yes, I do click apply and OK.. And I hate to call ISP which is Earthlink company, for no one speaks good English and I hate to keep on asking them to repeat and repeating myself. And they always want to go through a long troubleshooting sequence. Once I couldnt understand at all and just had to hang up. But I have had this ISP a few years now since Voicenet suddenly just quit without notice and I had to find another. I has been satisfactory overall, but did go up from 12.99 to 15.99 a month this year. That is paying monthly. It is still less than Voicenet which I was paying yearly but got ripped off when they quit and refunded the unused part as if I had been paying monthly so I didnt get the true amount of credit due.
    But at least it seems normal now and I dont want to blame a program I dont even have anymore. I Try. to be fair.

5. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Forgive me if I just don't get it but Verizon has a $17.99 or $19.99 DSL service and in 12 hour downloads you mention you do frequently even on slow Verizon speed you could download your whole computer in in 12 hours.

6. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T-Thuban 3.2GHz
    Memory:
    Crucial-DDR3 SDRAM 1333-8GB
    Hard Drive:
    WD Caviar Black SE HDD 640 GB - WD Caviar Black SE HDD 500 GB
    Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD-7870 2GB
    Power Supply:
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750W
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that BG said that Verizon isn't offering DSL Broadband in his area.

7. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Yeah you may be right....still and all what about phone, Internet and TV for $99. That only goes up to $119 after the first year and is still so much cheaper. It is not just the $15.99 as I would bet Verizon is $45 for the separate telephone line to use the dialup. How can that be cheaper than $59 for just Comcast internet which is 1,000 times faster than dialup.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I guess it is not just money and maybe not even need. I dont like Verizon or Comcast even though I have one for phone and other for cable TV, and I dont think I would sign up for more services with either one even if it were free and 10 times as fast. Maybe its not logical but it is true."Star Trek quote from Amok Time".
    Also, I just dont want the bother of changing. Choose to live with it. As I do with many things that do not please me.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  9. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    BG, you know what I think you need to do is go and use a friends computer who has Fios or Comcast as I remain convinced you cannot visualize the difference between dialup and these. Why do you think dialup isps are all leaving the universe anyway, I am curious for your explanation of that. You just seem too intelligent to live with "the pain of dialup" as everyone one I know refers to it. Tell you one thing if I suddenly moved to some place that only had dialup, I would throw my computer away before I would use that.