1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

[Solved] dell insprion 545 not starting upl pleasee helpppppp

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fazal, Feb 6, 2019.

1. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    First of all, thank you for any help in advance.

My computer Dell Inspiron is not starting up. it has a green light in the back when the cord is plugged in. Before when i pressed the power button It would blink an amber light and startup after 5 seconds of holding, which was really annoying but better than nothing. But since yesterday nothing was working. It wouldn't start. I put it in a direct outlet and still no sign. I thought the PSU was gone bad so I tested it and it worked. I replaced the CMOS battery still nothing. When I opened my computer up there was an amber light on the motherboard which is apparently normal on google, not sure if it's correct or not.
    again thanks for any help

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Fazal. It may be the power switch. Do you have and do you know how to use a multimeter?

One thing to try: Remove power, remove RAM, remove any expansion cards. Try to power it up. See what happens.

Oh, how did you test the power supply? That blink to amber troubles me. I've not seen it before, but I have to admit, I've not looked for it either.

3. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    yes i do have one but not used it oftenly i dont know how to remove ram or the expansion cards thx for the help

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    So how did you test the power supply?

Rustys and Seth Anthony like this.
  5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That's the question I was going to ask as well.

It's either the motherboard or the power supply, and I'm betting on the power supply.

One shot in the dark you might want to try, is to leave the computer unplugged overnight.

6. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    i tested the psu by putting a wire in the green side and other on the grounding black wire the psu fan started and also What do you want me to unplug overnight? the a/c adapter or the psu that is connected to mobo.

7. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    That's not a proper test for a power supply. The only true way to test a power supply is to try it in another computer, or try another power supply in your computer.

I suggested unplugging the computer overnight, as this will drain the power supply and motherboard capacitors. For lack of a better term, this will "reset" those components, and hopefully allow the system to power up.

Rustys likes this.
  8. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    ok i will try it and let u know tomorrow

9. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    there is a green light that pop ups on the back does that mean the psu is working or is the light just shows that its receiving power?

10. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    It just means it's receiving power.

11. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I know that trick with grounding the green wire. What you did was to simulate the board telling the power supply to start up.

Do as Seth suggested. I'm betting it's a board or CPU that has failed. Do any of the capacitors on the board look puffy? The tops should be flat, not puffed out. Also look for leakage from any of the capacitors.

It could also be the power switch itself. To test that, you need to short out the two pins that the power switch would normally short out. That could be tricky if you're not comfortable inside the computer.

12. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    i dont see any puffy capacitors although i thought it might be a blown cap but didnt seem to find one or a leakage, how woud i test the power switch like i touch the two pins with a metal screwdriver from the part that connects to motherboard? because i tried it before and nothing happened

13. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    also you know how there is a small light flickering underneath the powerswitch on the front panel?

even that light isn't showing up? is probably because of the power switch cable gone bad?

14. IJAC

IJAC CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Could also unplug the power chord and hold down the power button for a few seconds I believe that would discharge the capacitors also.Not sure if it will totally do it like Seth suggested though his suggestion maybe a better one.

15. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You would test the power switch by removing its leads from the board and use an ohm meter to test conductivity when you press the switch. If you think the power switch is bad, you can short out the two pins that go to the power switch momentarily. That would simulate someone pressing the power switch. Is this what you did? If it is, then the problem is not with the power switch.

The power supply provides a 5V standby source to the board even with the computer is turned off. The computer needs that standby voltage to be able to turn the rest of the power supply on when the power button is pressed. If that 5V standby source is missing, the power supply won't turn on. We know the power supply is capable of turning on as witnessed by your test with the green wire. We don't know if the voltages are correct.

I would do as Seth suggested and leave the computer unplugged over night. My hunch is that is not going to make any difference. At this point, you need to swap out a good power supply. If the computer still doesn't power up, there is a problem with either the board or the processor.

I can't find a Dell Inspiron 545. I did find a 545s. This is a slimline unit. Is this what you have?

16. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...-amber-power-light-Won-t-turn-on/td-p/4134539

If the power light is blinking amber — (Bad Power Supply or input)

The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
    • Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
    • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.
    Will have to agree with @Seth Anthony the power supply may be toast

Tony D likes this.
  17. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Yes, that's the way to test the switch. Although in 35 years of repairing computers, I've never seen a defective power switch unless the switch mount was physically broken...and that was only a handful of times.

Also, my suggestion to drain the capacitors is again, a long shot, but worth a try. Otherwise, the next step is replacing the power supply. I'm giving it a 70% chance the symptoms describe a defective power supply.

18. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Wow. Excellent information and advice from all replies :)

19. IJAC

IJAC CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Seth I had one that the 120/220 switch if you would jiggle it the power supply would power up.Never had the actual on/off switch on the power supply be bad yet. I have to agree I think the power supply is bad looking at Rusty's info it seems to confirm it.

20. fazal

fazal Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    thank you so much for the replies, First tony I have a dell inspiron 545 not slim or anything here is a link of what it looks like https://i.dell.com/das/xa.ashx/glob...sktop-inspiron-545-composite-hero-504x350.png
    i left it unplugged last night and i tried it as seth recommended and nothing happenned and ur hunch was correct as well ,i tested it by touching screwdriver to the switch that is connected to the motherboard i didnt use multimeter or anything. Seth said its supposed tobe checked that way, and how do i know if im missing that 5v standby source,

@IJAC I searched this problem up yesterday and it told me to do the same thing
    and nothing happened sadly

@Rustys the process power cale is securely connected i made sure but how do i ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location?

@Seth Anthony if my psu went bad, then how did it pass the psu test? i mean like the psu fan started it up i heard it and felt the wind coming, it woudn't have started it at all if the psu wasn't good right?