1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

DELL Inspiron Laptop Battery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Oct 28, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Dell laptop says No Battery Detected. If I do not use it on battery, is it necessary to replace the battery which I suspect has worn out? Or can I just remove it so it does not leak or damage anything?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You might want to leave the battery in because it may help smooth out any power fluctuations.

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Battery is still in but says it is not detected and keeps warning me it is not detected and wanting a response. Should I just buy a battery to make it happy even though do not use or need to run PC in power outage which rarely occurs, or remove the battery and set it not to try to charge it? They have Dell batteries online if I wanted to purchase one. The tray icon has a red "X" on the battery icon.

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No reason to replace the battery. If the message is bothering you, try this. I found it on the Internet so can't be sure how it would work for you. Is should prevent the message from coming up by disabling the software that checks it.

1. Click on the "Start" menu.

2. Right click on "Computer" and select "Manage".

3. Expand "Services and Applications" and click on "Services".

4. Double click on "Dell System Manager Service" to open the properties page.

5. Change the "Startup type" to "Disable" and then click on "Stop".

6. Click on "OK" and close the "Computer Management" window.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I went through this and I guess it worked but not sure how to tell. I guess if I do not see any battery warnings I can assume it did. Is this correct?

Also, after doing this is it OK to turn the notification icon for battery back on again? I turned it off thinking it would get rid of warnings.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Why would you want to turn that back on?

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just to see it I guess if it causes no issues.. Curious. Also unchecked the Battery Life boxes. Will the battery leak or cause damage if left in the machine?

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Not normally.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I turned off the battery stuff. I read on a forum where someone keeps battery uninstalled while home and only installs when taking it somewhere where there is no AC power and said it worked fine. So today I uninstalled battery and so far no ill effects. No warnings, no overheating, no flaws in operation. I usually turn it on in morning and if not in use goes into standby, then after using it now and then during day I shut it down at night when go to bed. Seems good so far. Even though could afford a battery see no real reason to buy one when never use or need it anyway, just to make the computer happy. Went well today without any of the scary problems I had read about.

10. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    I have been doing that for several years and have had no issues.

You do have to store the battery at half capacity if going to be thirty days or more. Then fully charge it before usage.