1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Delete only the first entry in microsoft excel but keep the following entries (2016 or 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Nousher, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Nousher

Nousher

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I have a large excel file with a lot of data.

I know how to delete the duplicate values but keep one value.

I need to learn another technique.

For example, a particular column repeats some data twice, some data thrice, and some data for four or five times.
    I want to delete the first entry only. I don't want to delete the second, third or fourth entry. That means only the first entry or first data will be deleted, but all the second, third, fourth or the next entry will exist.

Will anybody please tell me how I can do this?

2. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So you want to delete a particular column in a database?

In Office 2003, I simply put the cursor on the alphabetical letter of the column, right click and select delete column.
    For example, if I have columns labeled A through K and I wish to delete only column A (which would be the first column with data in it), I put the cursor on A, right click and select delete. The entire column will be highlighted so you see what will be removed.

Of course if column A has information, like names of things, and B is the "first" column that has data in it, then you'd want to delete column B and not A.

3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'm wondering if you can use the TRIM function (or some other function) to do this. I think you can copy the first x number of alphanumeric digits in a cell and use that somehow as a basis for deletion. For that to work, the number of digits to be deleted must be the same for each row in the column.

So is the number of digits to be deleted the same in each row.

Also, maybe you can use some king of delimiter to distinguish the first value from the subsequent values. Is there a space or comma ot some other digit that separated the first value from the subsequent values?

IJAC likes this.