1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Dad-blasted Bookmarks in Firefox! ...

Discussion in 'Browser Issues' started by Mara, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    That does it! I've decided I loathe the organizing abilities in Firefox Bookmarks!

I've already had some lovely help here with my inability to figure it out and thus this little rant isn't for help (although I've updated Firefox and now I'm baffled all over again :)) - rather I'm wondering if I'm the only one that hates how unintuitive it is, especially compared to the simple and easy to organize type of drag-and-drop that existed in Netscape and, apparently, even in IE.

Where once I had lovely folders, each containing all the pertinent links, I now have literally hundreds of links, mostly willy nilly and it's darn near mind-boggling to find anything.

Aaah, feel so much better after this little rant! :cryz:

2. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    160 Gb Hitachi 500 Gb Western Digital
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Hmmm, well for futur reference if you click on the Bookmarks Tab on the Toolbar, then click Organise Bookmarks, then click the Import Backup Tab, then click Back Up, you can save your Bookmarks and the way they are organised into a Backup folder, and then should all go wrong again just do the above except import them.

3. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I'm smiling in delight reading your words, kind Match, as that's what I just tried when I fell out of bed this morning. (Think I've finally learned my lesson to always back things up onto a thumb drive or CD :)).

Either FireFox simply doesn't like me or I'm truly inept at using their Bookmark organizing system. For even following my earlier instructions isn't helping now.

For instance, if I:

Try to create a 'New Separator'

Click on Bookmarks, the Library Box opens ...I click on Organize ...Click on yellow folder to highlight it ... Click Organize ... but 'New Separator' will not highlight.

Hmmm, come to think of it - I really may be the only person who dislikes the Bookmark Organization section of FireFox! Which means I'll simply have to convince myself it's a case of FireFox not liking me because the alternative of being inept is unthinkable! Huge grin! :)

4. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Mara I find that using the drop down bookmarks is much easier.

Just click on bookmarks and right click where you want the separator. The separator will appear just above the bookmarked site that you have selected. If you find that it is above or below where you intended it to be just drag the bookmark that you wanted either in or out of the new area that you created.

5. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Wahooooo!! It works, it works!! Thank you, thank you!

6. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Let that be a lesson to you, always listen to the guy who knows the least!! :geek:

7. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Laughing with delight as surely our Match is considering taking up drink to cope with my endless learning :huh: and undoubtedly he'll be rolling his eyes when he reads your words! :)

8. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Rofl we have all been there at some point in life, I remember when the power switch turned the computer on and off, and the operating system was kept on a ROM chip, and trying to write a game in Basic would cause you to use up your 32K of ram in minutes, and a floppy disk was something that happened by leaving your record collection in the sun ;)

9. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Now I'm really laughing!!! :)

10. wellies

wellies Member

Here's some general information about Firefox bookmarks that might be of interest:

The way bookmarks are handled and stored changed with the introduction of Firefox 3.0. Bookmarks in earlier versions were stored in the familiar 'Bookmarks.html' file. However, this isn't used by Firefox anymore. Bookmarks are now stored in a file called 'places.sqlite'. Places.sqlite also stores Firefox's browsing history. This used to be stored in the 'History.dat' file. If 'history.dat' and 'bookmarks.html' are still present in the Profiles folder, they can be removed since they are now redundant. Firefox 3.x.x will have imported the data from them into 'places.sqlite' and no longer need them.

One link to the past is that Firefox 3.x.x bookmarks can still be exported to a Bookmarks.html file and this backup can be used for importing bookmarks into a new Firefox Profiles folder. However, when the file is used, the bookmarks are not imported and stored into a new 'bookmarks.html' file. They will be imported into the mentioned 'places.sqlite' file.

To export Firefox 3.x.x bookmarks for use in a new Profile (or to just keep as a backup), go to 'Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks > Import and Backup'. From there, you can export just the bookmarks to a 'bookmarks.html' file. The option is also given to export bookmarks and browsing history to a single file (use the 'backup' option, rather than the 'Export' one). This backup takes the form of a 'Bookmarks.json' file rather than a Bookmarks.html file. Either type of file will work as a bookmarks backup.

There are backups of bookmarks/history (.json files) in the 'bookmarkbackups' folder located inside the Firefox Profiles directory. An alternative to the export procedure above would be to go to the folder and copy the .json file bearing the latest date and use this for backup purposes. At least one recent backup should be stored outside of the Firefox directories just in case a complete re-installation of Firefox is ever needed.

It is possible to organise bookmarks in Firefox 3.x.x as was always done in earlier versions. My own structure seen below demonstrates that. The appearance of the toolbars might differ from standard but the bookmarks folder structure is standard. Bookmarks can be dragged to the toolbar or other folders via the Firefox interface (i.e. without the Bookmarks Manager being opened).

[​IMG]

Another feature maybe not tried yet is the 'awesome bar' (nickname). Put the mouse inside the URL/Address bar and type the first letter(s) of a site recently visited. This is useful for going back to a site that you can't quite remember the name of. You might remember the name had a certain letter (or letters) in it, so type those letters and see what happens. Can be useful. :)

11. Match

Match Registered Members

Abit AN52
    CPU:
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair
    Hard Drive:
    Graphics Card:
    Radion XFX 4650
    Power Supply:
    550W EZcool
    Yes Very, I use that feature all the time, As it is normally alot quicker than finding a bookmark, and normally shows me the address of teh site I want with 3 or 4 letters, then a mouse click and I'm there, Very useful ;)

12. Mara

Mara Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    This is terrific and thank so much, Wellie!!

That 'awesome bar' is going to be perfect for me, as well - yipeee!:)