1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

[Solved] D Link Wireless USB adaptor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Jul 31, 2017.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This wireless adaptor takes longer and longer to connect to internet if it connects at all. Do these go bad? Should I get a new one? XP connects to Verizon router I guess but will not then connect to internet. Unsure just what the problem is but have tried all I know. Adapter blinks, it is connected to hi-speed USB 2, but keeps trying and re-trying to connect without success. Don't know if fault is verizon or the adapter malfunctioning. Is this common? It is a D-Link 130 and did not cost much. Could it be worn out? Expect this perhaps at times of heavy demand but not late at night. Used to be connected in less than a minute whenever. Then longer and longer and tonight half hour and not at all.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Those adapters can fail. There may be other factors causing your problem. Best to check with another wireless device to see if it also has problems. You can also remove power from the Verizon router for about 30 seconds and then re-apply power. That will reset the router.

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just had a 25 minute planned power outage so that should maybe have reset the router.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Have my W7 Dell next to XP on my desk. XP internal Broadcom not working which is why the D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N USB Adapter. Dell has internal adapter. It started and connected immediately while in 10-15 minutes the D-Link is still trying,
    Maybe I will try reinstalling D-Link then try it on the Dell to see if it works there, and finally consider buying new. Have tried the Update Driver but is says no better found.Is it harmful to try installing this one on Dell?
    If buy new is the D-Link still a good choice?

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I tried plugging in the D-Link, it began installing, and it said it installed successfully. When I click the properties (I forget now how I did that) it shows the D-Link with a red X and not connected. Apparently it is using the built in OEM adapter and the FiOS router. How can I find out if the D-Link is working?

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Check the status in the Device Manager to see if the driver is installed properly. If not, right-click on it and uninstall the adapter. Remove the USB wireless adapter from the computer. Restart the computer. Once the computer is booted, insert the USB wireless adapter. The computer should recognize it and it will reinstall the driver.

To check connections, go to Control Panel / Network connections.

7. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So Far: before your reply I searched for and found the D-Link install CD and reinstalled software then the Adapter. But when it tried to connect to the network it seemed unable to do so. Does this mean the adapter is no good and I should buy a new one? Done about all I know to do. Other PCs connect to network fine. Meanwhile I shall try the things you mention before buying a new one. Waas working fine and seemed to get slower and slower to connect. Maybe a sign of wearing out?

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The adapter may be bad. They're relatively inexpensive.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am STUCK, Tony. Trying since May to find a driver ONLY download for a Broadcom 802.11g but everything wants to scan, install updaters, and lots of other junk.
    I am tempted to just order another D-Link since it seemed to work up now.
    And still have not found a source to download ONLY a Broadcom 802.11g driver. Have to download it with another computer so I do not want that computer scanned or stuff installed. Only a driver. Was told by a shop the Broadcom does not work but I cannot be sure of that unless get a driver.
    And even if I did download with another computer wouldn't the drivers get installed on that computer and I not know where to find them?

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/802-11n-g-b...d=201962879415&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    The request for
    Has been answered on you other thread.

11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sorry for two threads. Meant to apologize before someone reminded me I had posted before but I had made no progress. Thanks for being kind.
    I found that uninstalling the D-Link, finding CD and reinstalling and restarting did not fix anything. It kept on trying to connect to wireless network and could not. So I plan to order another D-link since it worked before, and also to see if the internal broadcom will work if get new driver or something. I did see where they can be disabled or enabled. It says it can't repair for cannot connect to network. I will keep working at this for would like to have internet capability even though I have 3-4 PCs that will connect to internet.

12. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    That is not always a bad thing I have a few myself.

Let us know if we can help and how things go.

13. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    See the post under Windows XP.....now wireless is working again with a new D-Link adapter.