1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling, won't startup normally.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Smoothann, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Smoothann

Smoothann

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Lenovo
    CPU:
    i5
    Memory:
    8gb
    Hard Drive:
    1tb hdd
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon 540
    I have 2 issues that I cannot seem to solve.

1) When starting up the laptop, it cycles. Over and over until I hit the power button a few times and hit f12 until I get a boot menu, then start as normal. Once it's up, runs perfectly with no issues. I have tried a new hard drive & did a full system recovery back to factory settings. Out of ideas on this, does my second issue below contribute to this?
    2) My time and date will not keep. I have to change it every time I turn on the laptop. (I am not on it daily). It will not always allow me to set it to automatically update the time/date and time zone. Even if it is set to auto, it won't keep the time & date. When trying to fix this, I have changed the CMOS battery and also double checked time in BIOS which matches my laptop time currently. Out of ideas for what else to try.

Lenovo Ideapad 330s
    Windows 10 Home
    Build 19044.1766

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome Smooth ...

You did what I would have done. BIOS battery for the time and hard drive for the start up issue.

The board keeps time in the BIOS. The battery ensures the clock keeps time when the machine is off. Windows pulls time from the BIOS. As long as the battery and board are in good shape, the time should be right.

Maybe you have a board problem causing both issues.

Just for fun, try cleaning the cache by shutting down while holding the Shift key.

Also see what happens if you start in Safe Mode. You get to Safe Mode by holding the Shift key while going to Restart. On boot, go to Troubleshoot/ Startup Settings / Click Restart to get to the selection menu and choose Safe Mode.

The results may give a clue to solve the problem.

IJAC and Smoothann like this.
  3. Smoothann

Smoothann

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Lenovo
    CPU:
    i5
    Memory:
    8gb
    Hard Drive:
    1tb hdd
    Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon 540
    Thanks for the welcome and the reply! You nailed everything I was thinking on this. I tried all those things because they made sense.
    As for your suggestions, I just shut down and held shift. However, I cannot get it to go into safe mode with the way it's cycling. It took me 10 minutes to get it started back up to type this reply after shutting it down.
    If or when I do get it into safe mode, what would I look for? It runs perfectly once started, it's just the time keeping and cycling on startup that are my issues.

Thanks again!

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.