1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy and Paste from a png file

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by daveleonard, Jun 26, 2020.

1. daveleonard

daveleonard Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    I have a png file saved on my PC. I want to copy and paste it to a site that only accepts copy and paste. When I try to copy and paste the file the function does not work. I suppose I need to convert the PNG file to another format from which I can copy and paste but I do not know what format to convert to. Thanks for your help.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sites usually accept jpg files.

3. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    No, this site only allows copy and paste in their internal game posts. So if I have a file that has been saved to the notepad, for example, I am able to copy and paste that file to the internal game post. But, I didn't save it as a copy and paste to notepad but as a png file instead. I do not have the original so I can't go back and copy it over again. My only option is to figure out a way to copy and paste from the png or convert that png file into a file that I can copy and paste from with right-click. Sorry for the complexity of this but it is what it is. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    png files are for graphics. Notepad files are for text.

You can try opening the png file and copying a screen shot of it to the clipboard by doing an Alt - Prt Scn. Then open a blank Notebook file and do a Paste (Ctrl - V). It works in Word. Might work in Notepad.

5. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    The problem is I can't take a screen-shot in order to get it to notepad. I tried the paste function (Rt Click) anyway but it was a no go. The png designation prevents me from copying the plain text the file holds. Screenprint doesn't work or if it does it does not show up in the clipboard. If it did go to the clipboard, I should have been able to paste it. The best I was able to do was to print it to one note but, again, no copy and paste function there either. I guess once a file is made png, even though it is plain text, that text cannot be copied. From one note I did a right-click option and used the option to "copy all text from this page" but what I got was a weird result which I will attach.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Copy is ctrl + C
    Paste is ctrl + V
    Notepad accepts "text" files not graphics. What happens when you try WordPad which does accept graphics?
    Go here www.zamzar.com and you can convert a png to bmp or jpg. Read what graphics format the site wants the picture in.

7. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    When you are copying and pasting the file is it open in a program or are you selecting the file form file manager and attempting to copy that way?

Open the png file and select copy form the program that has it open then try pasting the image into where you want it to go.

If you want to feel free to try pasting the image and or a similar image here in this thread.

8. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    plodr: I went to the site and converted the file to bmp. In Word, the file does not show up in order to open. It is in downloads. The file actually contains plain text.

Rustys: The file is not open but in downloads as a bmp file now. To open it I double click on it but "photos" always opens it. So, I cannot copy and paste the contents (plain text). When I use right click and the "open with" option, only option I get to open with is "photos(graphics) no word or text app.
    I cannot "paste" a copy of the png because "photos" always opens it and copy and paste will not work in photos even though it contains plain text. I will try the snipping tool. Thanks.

9. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Snip is attached but again this site only allows copy and paste and has no option to upload a file.

Attached Files:

10. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    From what you are showing you need to copy a certain part of the image and not the complete thing is that correct?

11. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    No, I was trying to copy and paste the whole page. Normally I can do that if it is plain text without a problem. Since I can't highlight any part of it I just drew a rudimentary circle around it.
    Anyway, don't waste more time on this. The best thing I can do is not do a "print" of the text like I did here but a copy and paste to the notepad in the future. Thanks for all the help though. Have a nice day.

12. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Use the snipping tool and save as a png not the jpg it tries to save as. Here is a snip of part of this page, image and words, saved as capture.png
    Capture.PNG

13. daveleonard

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Acer Aspire
    CPU:
    See below
    Memory:
    Ditto
    Hard Drive:
    Ditto
    Graphics Card:
    Ditto
    Power Supply:
    Ditto
    Yes, I understand that but like I said before the site will only accept copy and paste, no attachments. When I use the snipping tool and save as a png photos automatically opens the file in photos and copy and paste cannot be used.
    There is just no way to do this. I must remember that when I save something from this site to always do so with copy and paste to begin with. Thanks for all the help and have a great day.