1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Configuring Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BGBG, Dec 8, 2016.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Have XP and 7 and a verizon wireless internet connection. Is there a web page someone knows of that shows how to set the configuration settings? The 7 connects wirelessly to modem via internal adaptor. The XP built in adaptor is nonfunctional so use USB D-Link adaptor. I would like to learn to understand the connection settings.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Main Computer: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z P8Z68-M PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.00GHz
    Memory:
    16.0GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT
    Hard Drive:
    111GB SSDSC2MH120A2, 931GB WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0, 3726GB HMS5C4040ALE640
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Two DELL P2415Q (3840x2160@60Hz)
    Power Supply:
    Silverstone 1200W Certified Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Silent Edition
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    There are two things you need to know - the SSID and the password.

The SSID is the name of your wireless network. It shows up when you open the window that searches for wireless networks.
    The password it just that. It's the password needed to gain access to the above mentioned wireless network.

Both of these can be located on the label of your Verizon wireless router.

4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    While I am learning I will just ask a straight-out question. The Win7 laptop is operating wireless with the installed OEM network adaptor the Verizzon tech configured. The XP laptop I took to the PC shop and had it configured. They said the isnstalled OEM Broadcom 802.11g was not working, although the properties box says it is working properly. It is enabled at present. Maybe it works if I plug laptop into router with ethernet cable as I did before I got the D-Link USB network adaptor. The PC shop I believe configured the D-Link - I dont really recall. But the Broadcom is listed as "wireless connection 3" and doesnt seem to do anything. I was afraid to disable it for don't know what if anything it does. Is it OK to disable it to maybe keep the green bars from being in the tray all the time even though it is not working?
    Ithought maybe I set it up by accident. On this PC unless I plug it into the router in next room I only use it at the desk alongside the windows 7 laptop.
    I do not know how to get the Broadcom adaptor to work, the PC shop said it wouldnt and I got the D-Link which it what I use. It seems I do not need the Broadcom, do not wish to uninstall it, but thought I might disable it because I have a feeling I created the connection while messing around. What are recommendations? Maybe I should try plugging into the router and see what connection it says it is using. The Verizon tech did not configure it and I am not sure if the PC shop did or windows did or I tried to.
    And there is an icon that is two computers with red X saying "Local Area Connection network cable is unplugged" which I assume refers to the non-connected Ethernet cable to the router I used in beginning before getting the D-Link wireless USB adapter Need advice on what to do, if anything..

5. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds like you have an Internet connection but are curious about some other issues.

Sometimes if a network adapter fails, it'll still report that it's operating properly. It fails to understand that it's not working. What is working is its connection to Windows. However, it doesn't realize that there is a hardware problem that prevents it from making a connection.

Those connections with the red X - there is usually only one of them. You are correct in that it means that there is no Ethernet cable connected. If there are more than one Local Area connection red-X, it may mean that someone messed around with the connections trying to get something to work. Nothing to be concerned about.

If things are working, let them be. Be happy, don't worry.

6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    To follow your advice I am now happy and no longer worried because I disabled network 3 so don't have to see it yet it is still there in case I wish to enable it. Best of both worlds. All is well.