1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Computer turns on then off then on continuously.

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by BeefBaby, Nov 25, 2016.

1. BeefBaby

BeefBaby

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Recently I have purchased a computer. It has been working for more than 2-3 weeks. However all of the sudden one day when powering it on it would turn off again then boot into windows. However last night I installed some programs "LGUP" to repair my phone. After installing the programs my computer rebooted and worked normal until after 10-15 minutes it rebooted again. I ignored it once more, however it happened again, then I put it aside and came back later. I logged in started using it and it worked for 40ish minutes this time, then the computer screen froze and rebooted. This time the computer now turns on then off then on then off, no display output. I'll admit I did buy this off craigslist, and the only thing I added to the system were two drives: an ssd with my copy of windows, and 2tb hdd for random files / games. However one time it was going through the boot it said something about "bad overclocking setup" and said press f2/del to go into setup. I did that but couldn't find the settings the proper settings to set it back to auto.

Here are the specs:

Intel i7 4750k

Nitro r9 fury

asus z-97a

16gb of ddr3

and the PSU is over 1000w

2. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hello BeefBaby welcome to the forum.

1. What version of Windows?
    2. Make Model or is it a Self Built?
    3. How is the system cooled?
    4. Is the system well ventilated?

3. BeefBaby

BeefBaby

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    1. Windows 10 professional?
    2. Self built
    3. Fans, gpu has 3 fans on it, cpu is water cooled with a dual fan radiator.
    4. I'd say it's pretty well ventilated never goes above 60 Celsius while gaming. I use coretemp

Rustys likes this.
  4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    If it says "bad overclocking setup" you need to press "Delete" on boot and get into the Bios.
    Once in the Bios move across to "Exit" and you will have to option to set to "optimized defaults" or similar wording.
    Highlight that option and when asked to save click Yes. It will then boot into those settings.
    My guess someone has tried to heavily o/clock and system keeps shutting down to protect itself.

5. BeefBaby

BeefBaby

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I upgraded the bios to the latest firmware and set the settings to all auto and defaults. I took out my gpu and 2 other drives thinking one of them or the power draw might be the problem. I'm currently in Windows 10. I'm going to use the browser and wait 15-30 minutes to see if anything happens. Thanks for all the help so far!

6. BeefBaby

BeefBaby

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Okay new update. I put the gpu in this time in a diffent pci slot. Everythings working so far. Now im going to put the drives back in.

7. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    BeefBaby do you have any new information for us?