1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Computer struggles to power on? Possible short?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Computerabuser38, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Computerabuser38

Computerabuser38

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi all,
    I love my computer, but struggle to take proper care of it in terms of updating malware as well as keeping it clean of dust and hair..

I have a HP 15-p030nr special edition beats lap-top that I've been having trouble with. I had the cooling fan replaced some time ago, as the motor in the initial fan was shot-I use a cooling fan now (the person who replaced it said it was the most fried he'd ever seen). NOW, I'm having trouble getting it to turn on. I've taken it apart numerous times and put it back together before to clean it, now I'm having to take it apart to turn it on....

Initially, you would push the power button, it would act like it was powering up, and then 2 sec in it would completely power off. It would do that everytime, until I plugged the charger in. With the charger plugged in, it would power up like normal. I thought it was a battery issue-but now I'm not so convinced.

Now, it's doing the same thing it initially was, but it's not powering up even with the charger in. I took it apart again to re-set the 'wiring' (this laptop comes apart from the top, you have to pull the keyboard up to get to all the innards.). I had undone the wire/stripey thing connecting the keyboard to the circuit board, and another larger wire/stripey thing that also connects the keyboard to the circuit board get to the connector between the power button and the circuit board (mother board?). I unplugged the power button wire/stripe, and when I connected it again, the computer powered on. (with the keyboard unplugged, scared the crap outta me...detrimental to be plugging things into the circuit board while it's running?) I tried to look for discoloration, there might be a little of a yellowey-tan color on the plug-going to the circuit board-, but it's not 'burnt' looking really...

Considering the evidence I've gathered from messing with it, I'm assuming my problem is something to do with the power button or the connection between the power button and the circuit board (the big green, techy looking piece, motherboard?)? But I know barely anything about computers, and I don't want to make the problem worse by pulling the keyboard up and reconnecting wires everytime I want to use my lap.

Is anyone able to give me insight into what it might be? and if it's seriously detrimental to my computer or if it can be fixed?

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No need to unplug all that. It's not going to help. Continual disconnect/connect may damage the connectors. You might even not fit the ribbons in properly and short out something.

Is there an indicator on the laptop that shows that the AC power adapter is connected? If so, check out Dougie's link. If your adapter is faulty, that indicator will not illuminate when the adapter is connected.

If the laptop has a removable main battery (I'm not talking about the BIOS battery which is the size of a coin), remove the main battery. Disconnect from the AC power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. This will discharge and reset the power circuitry.