1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Randomly Died!! Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by RationalLunatic, Jun 17, 2020.

1. RationalLunatic

RationalLunatic

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I was browsing the internet, minding my business when my screen went to black and my system powered off randomly with a zap through my speakers. Now, the rig won't power on at all. The PSU fan won't even spin. No blue screen, no error message, nothing. At first I tried plugging into another outlet, then I tried switching power cables. Nothing. What's weird is that I've been using this rig for days.

Since it just died randomly and won't power on at ALL anymore, I pretty much ruled out CPU failure, RAM failure and GPU failure and concluded it must be a problem with my PSU. So, I did a paper clip test. PSU powers on like normal. I swapped another computer's PSU with mine, and it works just fine. Sooooo, PSU is A-Okay then?

Now I've concluded that it must be something motherboard related. However, physically speaking, my motherboard is flawless. I reset BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery, and I also changed out the CMOS battery for good measure. Nothing. I doubt my motherboard has truly died but it could be the case. What do you all think?

SPECS:
    CPU: FX-8350 OCed to 4.1 GHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 3.0)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 970 with +400 mem and +90 base clock.
    RAM: x2 G.SKILL 8GB 1866MHz
    PSU: EVGA BR 600W

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome RationalLunatic (cool user name btw), It sounded like PSU to me.

I'm confused as to what you did with the PSU. Did you put a knows good on in your computer and the computer still did not start? If so, let's continue. If not, then please swap with a known good PSU.

I'd look next to graphics card. A bad graphics card can hang a bus and screw things up. Can you swap that out?

Next, I'd look to the board itself. Look at the board carefully, especially the capacitors. Anything look out of place?

3. RationalLunatic

RationalLunatic

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Lol thanks, came up with the user randomly a few months ago and have been using it ever since.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed the problem down a bit. I stripped the PC down to just the mobo, the PSU and one RAM stick. Pressed the power button, and PSU fans won't even spin. That tells me that the problem is either the PSU or Mobo.

To test the PSU, I used a paperclip to ensure it powered on properly, and then I plugged the PSU into a different computer to test it again. Both times, the PSU worked with flying colors. I also took a PSU from a different, working rig and plugged it into the broken one. Still nothing. So that pretty much verifies to me that it is not the PSU that is the problem. It's the mobo.

I followed your advice and checked the board, the capacitators are all fine. Not sure what the cause could be other than it just quit on me. Any ideas?

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds like you’ve narrowed it down to either the board or the CPU. Good job.

So what caused the failure? Failure in the board? The CPU? The PSU? An electrical surge that got thru from the power company? Did the PSU hic cup momentarily? A stray wire fragment worked itself loose and landed on a bad place shorting something out? You’ll probably never find the cause without the test equipment that manufacturers use.

5. RationalLunatic

RationalLunatic

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Cause of failure is unknown, but I have isolated the cause to the board. It’s very old and frankly not worth fixing money-wise. Paying to have it diagnosed would cost about as much as the board itself. so I figure I’ll just buy a slightly more up to date board and pray for the best.

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds like a plan.

7. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Yep had that happen to a friend of mine same exact thing MB was toast never did find out why. Good luck on the new board hope it all goes well.

8. RationalLunatic

RationalLunatic

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks to all!

: HELP