1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Not Detecting Headphones?

Discussion in 'Sound Card' started by caseyuer, May 6, 2012.

1. caseyuer

caseyuer

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hey guys, first let me say that I'm such a novice with computers I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section to post this question in but I think it is.

Anyways, I own a HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC, 64 bit operating stemmed with Intel and windows seven. I'm not entirely sure what the sound card is or if that matters for this question but it's audio is built by beatsaudio.

So I've had this computer for a few months now and it's been running great, including and especially the audio since I listen to a lot of music. But all the sudden when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack on the computer the sound is still coming out from the speakers. When I put the headphones in the headphone jack I still hear that brief staticy/ electricity sound that you do and some white noise emits from the headphones but all of the audio is coming out from the speakers. I checked and the headphone setting is not muted and under the sound settings on the control panel the headphone jack is turned on but still no sound. I've never had this problem before and I don't know what's causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. caseyuer

caseyuer

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Also let me clarify, it's not the headphones themselves as they still work perfectly in any of my other devices.

3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi caseyuer. Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    I would run Microsoft FIXIT and see if that diagnoses your problem.
    The 3rd fixit option on page2 here. (Sound and Audio)
    http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

4. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good find DSTM, follow that and I think DSTM means the first on the left "Top Solutions" click on that first then go to the second page, there are several audio fixes listed there.

If however there is nothing there that works, it may just be the headphone jack socket broken. Is it regularly used, or once the headphones are plugged in they stay there?
    If regularly used, then the constant plugging in and out may have snapped the contacts, so considering it is only a few months old, it should still be under warranty for hardware repairs such as that. If so send or take it back, the socket should have lasted longer than it has.

Nev.

5. caseyuer

caseyuer

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hey guys thank you both for your advice, and I ran the program to no avail and then.

Well I'm incredibly embarrassed to say this because never have I felt this stupid before but, I picked my laptop up to put it in its case and, when turning it sideways a decent sized bit of black dust fell out... Tried my headphones again and sure enough..*facepalm* They had fit fine earlier, I guess it was just blocking it from working properly...

Anyways thanks for helping me with my problem

6. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Glad your problem is sorted.
    No need to feel embarrassed.
    Thanks for posting back letting us know you problem is solved.
    If you say some black dust fell out then I think it would be wise to give your computer a good blow out with a can of compressed air in short bursts.