1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer freezing when playing games.

Discussion in 'Sound Card' started by Joseph, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    When I first got my computer it was working fine, but over the past couple of months my computer freezes when playing games for example, Arma 2 (DayZ) and L4D2. When I first got my computer these games were working fine not freezing and a solid 60 FPS.

But it is getting to the point where I can not go even 5 minutes without freezing, the game comes up as not responding in task manger. I really don't know why this is happening.

I downloaded a new AV and i scanned my hole computer and found no problems. I even reformatted my computer to see if the AV didn't pick it up but still no help.

Specs:
    OS NameMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
    System ManufacturerGigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System ModelZ68AP-D3
    System Typex64-based PC
    ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/DateAward Software International, Inc. F6, 12/10/2011
    Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
    System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1

2. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

It is good that you included system specs along with your issue but you didn't include enough. We also need to know how much memory and the video card installed. Is it a laptop or desktop?

With the system manufacturer showing as Gigabyte do I assume correctly that this is a custom/home built system?

What anti virus/malware packages are you running and have you done full scans? There are a few bugs out there that can survive a drive format.

By any chance are you using newer video or any other device drivers than when things were running well? Sometimes updating drivers is not a good thing. I have seen cases where a system runs better with older drivers than newer. What can happen here is that a specific board goes through a revision change where the board is no longer exactly like the older revisions. Drivers for the newer revision board may not work so well on an older revision of the same model.

It is possible that this could be a thermal issue. To cover that base please download and install Speccy from
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
    Report system temperatures as close to a freeze event as possible. As you cannot know exactly when a freeze will happen this means to monitor the temps frequently while the system is in use.

LOL! That should be enough for a start. We'll get into checking the RAM later. ;)

3. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    It is a desktop, it was bought from a store as well. you asked for more information so i hope this helps. Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 643MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68AP-D3 (Socket 1155)
    Graphics
    XM3-19w (1440x900@60Hz)
    Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1440x900@60Hz)
    1024MB GeForce GTX 560 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Hard Drives
    932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and I do, full scan my computer, I don't know if there could be any of the drivers I was installed but it might be.
    I will post again tomorrow for the information whilst playing games. i hope this helps and thank you for you help!:)

4. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hello, sorry for the late reply. So I've been playing DayZ over the past couple of days now and I have some information about my computer.

CPU: 60-65 degrees
    Motherboard: 44-45 degrees
    Graphics: 54-55 degrees
    Hard Drives: 27 degrees
    FPS:60-75

I don't know if the temperatures are bad or not. Please help!!!
    (I got this information from speccy and I took it from when i was frozen)

5. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I'm not thrilled with the 60C CPU temperature but can't see that it is high enough to crash the system. Have you ever opened the case and cleaned out the dust? If not please do so if you feel comfortable with the task. Pay special attention to the heat sink and fan for the CPU but do a thorough job on everything.

I'd like to see your other temperatures a bit lower also. A good cleaning may help with this. You can use compressed air if you wish but use it in short bursts. Also make sure that the compressed air is put out for use with electronics as some cans are at a very high pressure and can cause damage. Don't forget the power supply when cleaning.

Just how comfortable are you with working inside the case?

Sorry but your statement of "I don't know if there could be any of the drivers I was installed but it might be." confuses me a bit. Does this mean that you don't know if drivers have been updated?

Oh, you said that the system was bought from a store; what brand and model is it?

6. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I have had my case cleaned out and there is not difference. I'm ok with doing things inside my case but if I get stuck I can always look for help. My computer was bought from a online store, it was the sorta thing where you can choose a lot of different components from a list and they make it for you.

I have also found another problem when playing games like TF2 I have amazing FPS (250-300) but I freeze and my audio loops over and over again and I lose my FPS. it comes back in a few seconds to a minute.(it does not do this to any other game)

All of my drivers are up to date I have checked and they are all.

7. jaylach

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I still do not like the temperatures. This is going to sound weird but will help answer the possibility of the cause being thermal. If possible open the case and point a fan on the insides. Try for the air hitting both the CPU and video. This should lower your temps. If the issue remains it could be a hardware fault. If it does not remain I would suggest the addition of more case fans.

If the above proves nothing go to Device Manager and check the properties of both the video and audio. Under driver see if there is an option to roll back the driver. A driver update could possibly be the cause. If the option to roll back is available do so.

In either I'd like to see lower temps although if under a heavy load I suppose they could be considered OK. I assume that the temps are much lower when not playing a game.

8. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Yes the temperatures are lower when I'm not using it. I have put a fan next to my computer with out the side panel, the temperatures are lower but I still freeze:(

I dont know what is the matter. Could it be something that is inside the computer like a component, if not I don't have a clue. Also I have rolled back my drivers but no help.

9. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi, I think perhaps the next is a possible RAM problem.

I see you have 8GB RAM, I am assuming it is in more than one single stick, so first remove all and check and clean the contacts. A pencil eraser using the blue end is best as it is not too abrasive, wipe the contacts with a soft cloth after cleaning then try again.

If no change take them all out except one, with only one in it will of course be much slower but if it runs OK remove that and place in one of the others until all have been checked, if one of the sticks gives trouble that is the faulty one and needs replacing.

let us know if that helps, or if no change so we can move on and try something else.

Nev.

10. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Hi again, I've been looking for the rubber but it is so hard for me to find one, sorry.

I have tried many different thing to try and help my problem. My friend has a spare graphic card so I asked to have it, I put it in my computer to see if my graphics card was the problem but no help.

I am really sorry for not writing back been busy with other things but I can get back to fixing my computer.

The graphics card was a Geforce GT630 If you wanted to know. That is mostly what I've been doing offline.

Joe.

11. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Doesn't really matter if you can't find an eraser, (Some parts of the world think the term "Rubber" means something entirely different) so long as the contacts look bright, they should be OK.
    At least the change of graphics card has hopefully ruled that out as the cause, so do please have a look at the RAM sticks and follow what I said earlier about trying one at a time, or the other way round, with all in except one, if no change put that one back and remove another.

Nev.

12. Joseph

Joseph

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I have have done the step above and I think I have found the problem, one of my cards works and the other does not so Im using one 4GB card and it seems to be working. I will be buying more of http://www.crucial.com/uk.

Is this ok? if not please inform me.

Thanks

13. Plastic Nev

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Joseph, it looks like we have cracked the problem, did you use the Crucial system scanner? If so it will tell you which is the best one to buy and fit.

Nev.