1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

COMPUTER DISPOSAL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Sep 28, 2019.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have 3 old desktops and 3 old monitors with win 98se and have not used for years. Not interested in advertising or trying to make money on them but would just like to donate or give them away. Nothing that I would consider dangerous or risky on any of them so I was wondering if simply running the hard drive formatting function would be safe enough to warrant donating to a computer shop, Staples, Best buy or similar would be good enough. I do not want to fool around taking them apart and destroying the hard drive, or any elaborate things I need to learn or download, or simply throwing them away by putting in trash collection. I guess the monitors would not be risky but not sure just what to do with the computers. I was thinking to run the format hard drive and calling up some places to see if they would take them. They do work but I have 3 recent laptops and do not need these old desktops nor would they maybe work with modern day things. Any suggestions on what or how to dispose of them in a helpful way? Do not like to break or destroy them. Two are from Nov 1998 and one is an old used one that went with a security camera system I had.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Call your township and / or trash service for suggestions.

Places like Goodwill, and other charitable organizations most likely won't accept computers that old. I don't know where you live, but there is a non-profit organization in Audobon, PA that takes old computers and refurbs them for low income families. They also teach youngsters about computers while doing the rehab.

They are Team Children http://www.teamchildren.org/

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I posted a reply but may have forgotten to click "post reply". Anyway thanks for the help. Am i right that I should format the hard driive then donate?

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    How concerned about someone getting your data off the computer are you? If you're not concerned, just delete your files and empty the Recycle Bin.

If you are concerned, remove and destroy the hard drive.

5. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I am really very concerned for do not have much if any personal or useful to others material on them. I recall that there is a built-in way to reformat the drive and I did that once or twice. I was thinking that would be sufficient. Maybe a local computer shop would want them. Not looking to make money off them but just "clean out" what I no longer need or want. And do not wish to go to a lot of trouble or travel to do such.

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC likes this.
  7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    No local computer shop wants computers with Windows 98. Even Goodwill won't take them.
    See if BestBuy e-cycles. I've dropped off old computers, without a hard drive at BestBuy in the past.

8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    They just take up lot of room and are no longer used. I thought I could simply format and/or delete everything and donate them somewhere. But I do not want to spend lots of time dismantling, drive half way across the state, make phone calls all day, nor spend a fortune buying and then learning to use equipment just to give something away. Neither rdo I wish to destroy it. Ust wanted a simple approach. There could or could not be something on it some deviant would or could use but nothing really comes to mind.
    Not an emergency but have no plans to begin using them. 3 are W98se and 1 is Windows XP and it has been several years since even started up, let alone used. Maybe a hard drive is easy to find, remove or destroy but then it is of even less use. Just do not understand what best to do. I am donating 4 aquariums because I am giving up fish-keeping.

9. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I doubt you have to drive half way across PA to find a BestBuy. Have you checked if they still e-cycle?

10. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    A few places WERE a long way off but Best Buy IS nearby and I must admit I did not check.