1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

CLOSING LID TO SLEEP-Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGBG, Feb 11, 2022.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    How long is it OK to let a laptop sleep by closing lid. I used to let it sleep during day when not using it but found when I go to shut down at night it is installing updates and says not to turn it off. So I began to leave it in sleep mode all night. But now unsure when to shut down or for how long. I like to have it sleep in day when not using but do not need it all night. Anyone else have this issue or a solution? Thanks.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You can leave it in sleep as long as it has power. That's probably not an issue for you.

I suggest that if you leave it sleep during the day, restart it at least once a week. Personally, I let mine sleep at times during the day when I'm not using it, but then I shut it down when I'm done with it at night.

IJAC likes this.
  3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was mainly annoyed at having it installing updates at the time that I wished to shut ddown. Maybe there are better ways to deal with this. Like shutting it down earlier?
    Since I never move it frome desk it is always on wall outlet power because I never replaced the battery but removed it when it wore out. It is always on A.C power.
    I just put a Malwarebytes Free link on desktop. It was in my Start menu and still is. I installed it 12/27/2018 but never really actively used it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  4. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Windows updates are usually sent out the first Tuesday of the month I believe.