1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing AOL email account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slowpoke47, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Slowpoke47

Slowpoke47 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Another member of the household has been trying in vain to cancel an AOL free email account. Both phone and online support are making it difficult, if not impossible. We are directed to non-existent sites, given references that lead nowhere, etc. I get it- AOL does not want to lose yet another recipient for the dozens of daily spam-type emails. This resembles the ice dealer who doesn't want to stand by while his product melts.

Anyone know how to get rid of a free AOL account?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Slowpoke47 likes this.
  3. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Easiest way: don't sign in for 12 months and it will be closed on their end.

After more than a year has passed, you can check that it is gone by going here
    Code:
    https://login.aol.com/account/challenge/username?authMechanism=secondary&done=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aol.com%2F&sessionIndex=QQ--
    I went there, typed in an AOL address that I tried to get in 2017 and this was the result.
    AOL.jpg

Slowpoke47 likes this.
  5. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    We'd like to get this account cancelled asap. We have moved from Win7 to Linux Mint and do not want to open AOL on the new OS to avoid any question of telemetry, as AOL is one of the biggest snoopers. I think AOL has been absorbed by Verizon, which is our service provider. I plan to follow up using that route.

There is no lack of supposed options for closing an AOL account, but have yet to find one that actually gets me there. As stated, AOL doesn't want this to happen. This stonewalling may even be illegal...

6. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good luck!
    My former roommate died suddenly in 2004. I set up her juno email account so I know the username and password. I just logged in today to her account. They deactivated it but did not remove it. Because I looked in, it is now active and this is after quite a few years of not checking it.

Even the first step to delete a juno email account doesn't make sense to me
    To permanently delete your account in Juno 2.0 or later:
    1. Make sure that you have enabled remote access for your account.
    I don't have the Juno program on any computer. I've used it strictly as webmail for perhaps 18 years.

7. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    My wife began this effort by calling the help # on the aol mail site. She was originally looking for the IMAP address needed to move her stored mail from aol to our current provider (fastmail) to escape both aol snooping telemetry and dozens of advertiser emails on a daily basis. The phone agent refused to provide that info without her revealing her new provider and email address, presumably to enable aol to remain in the loop. We were able to find the info independently.

We need to close the aol account so that anyone she does want to hear from who didn't get her message with her new address will see any mail they send to the old address kicked back. We have been unable to close the account or change her aol email address, which would give the same result. I plan to try the phone call to aol again tomorrow, perhaps connecting with a different agent . If stonewalled again, the next step is seeking help from Verizon, the current owner of aol, and then our gov't reps. I believe it is a law violation to refuse to close this account. I understand the underlying reason, and it stinks. These days, the 800 lb. gorilla in the room is marketing, and aol can sell her aol address regardless of whether she actually reads her aol mail.

8. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Looks like a happy ending- got a different aol phone agent today who knew a little about the cancellation procedure and between us we seem to have gotten it done, pursuant to a 30-day waiting period. This agent could not have been nicer or more helpful, contrasted with the obnoxious one my wife drew last week.

If anyone else needs to do this, the phone # is 800-358-4860 and you delete your aol mail account at www.myaccount.aol.com. Takes multiple steps, but can be done.

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  9. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Verizon won't help you Verizon doesn't own AOL. What Verizon did was get out of the email business and gave it over to AOL (of all companies why AOL) I have no idea. I know this for a fact because I have Verizon Fios and had a email account thru them when this happened. I called and tried to get help with email and they directed me to AOL which were no help as you discovered. You could go into the AOL account and have your emails forwarded to your new account (hopefully they have a good spam filter) until all your contacts have your new address. Or you could do as Plodr suggests.

10. Slowpoke47

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Please see my previous post.

11. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    O sorry I probably posted the same time as you. Glad you got it sorted out. Also I need to correct myself Verizon does own AOL sorry you were correct Slowpoke.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    SlowPoke - thanks for the phone number. I put it in my list of support number. Verizon will direct you to AOL (even thought Verizon owns AOL). Then dealing with AOL is awful.

Note: Oath, a division of Verizon, owns both Yahoo.