1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

CHROMIUM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGBG, Apr 15, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    What is Chromium? It just started appearing on my windows 7 PC and I am not sure where it came from. I do not see it in Program Files or the start menu or the Programs and Features. I do see see a Google Chrome icon in Programs and Features but no Chromium. Since I cannot find it anywhere, how would I remove it?

2. Rustys

Rustys Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
  3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Where on your computer do you see Chromium? If it's installed, it should be listed in the Control Panel under Programs and Features.

This is the second program you mentioned recently that you didn't know where it came from. You need to be more careful when downloading anything. There are usually check boxes that need to be unchecked so that you don't get unknown programs. Also, if you see Easy or Recommended install options, don't use them. Use the option for Advanced installations. That's where these programs hide.

I mentioned in another of your posts to download and install Unchecky. Please do that. It may help prevent these unknown programs from installing.

Seth Anthony likes this.
  4. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Further to what Tony said, if it's going to be any sort of a hassle to remove it, then just remove the shortcut icon for it by right clicking on it and choosing Delete. Chromium will still be installed, but it won't hurt anything.

5. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Okay, you have 3 issues in the last day or 2. Two programs you did not install Chromium and Bytefence and some icons are not in the notification area and you are unable to get them to show.

Perhaps it is time to scan your computer for malware. As far as I know, nothing installs chromium without your permission. Chrome might tag along with something, maybe flash, but not chromium.

6. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I just uninstalled Google Chrome. Didn't use it anyway. If you think Unchecky is good I shall try it.

7. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    bob12a and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  8. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I think I had both. Not anymore though. I was looking in the program folders for Google and found the Chromium.I believe I was trying different browsers at the time.

9. plodr

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You should get in the habit as soon as you try a program and decide you don't like it, use Revo Uninstaller to remove it and all the registry entries. If you clean as you go, you'll have fewer computer problems.