1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Hard Drive Info Bios For Dell D620

Discussion in 'Hard Drive - HDD' started by spaniel1287, Dec 12, 2011.

1. spaniel1287

spaniel1287 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Just curious, but I got into my bios on my Dell D620 Laptop, I wanted to change the Hard Drive to be in "compatibility Mode". So how on earth do you change the HD from SATA to IDE on a dell D620? I have been looking around on the BIOS and I can't find it for the life of me. Thanks.

2. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Simple question - why would you want to ?

3. spaniel1287

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I was just reading online somewhere that some people had luck switching their HD to IDE from SATA and were able to get past a blue error screen when trying to install windows.

4. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    I suspect the reason for this is that XP does not have SATA drivers embedded - they need to be loaded early on in the install process.

It is the SATA configuration / controller mode that needs to be altered.
    All BIOS configurations are different - but it should be there somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  5. spaniel1287

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yup, on the BIOS on my Dell D620 there is no option anywhere to change that like you have on your BIOS picture there. Let me ask you this, if XP is on a system, would I be able to format it using a windows Vista OS disc?

6. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hum, before answering that question we would need to know if the computer is capable of running Vista first. See if your computer matches or is better than the minimum requirements listed here=

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/products/system-requirements

To answer the original question, as from the way it is worded, (though I know you meant otherwise) You cannot actually change the type of hard drive that is installed (SATA) from the BIOS, you need to remove the existing drive physically and replace it with an IDE one, but only providing the motherboard has IDE capabilities. Not very likely in a laptop.
    What is the operating system that is installed now any way? If still original it should be XP I think.

Nev.

7. spaniel1287

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes XP is installed on it right now. There is a pirated version of XP on it now and I just want to get it off and get regular good ol' windows XP on it so it can be used for basic things.

8. spaniel1287

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Wooohooo! I finally figured it out! I was able to download a torrent windows OS disc and used it to format the hard drive and no error screen popped up and windows XP home installed perfectly fine. I was able to use an old XP Key that I had from a previous disc and it worked thank god. Now just gotta go out and find the drivers.

9. KenB

KenB Registered Members

Operating System:
    :nono:

Good to hear that you finally got a legal version on your system - even if you did use an illegal download to do it :)
    I still don't understand why the original disk didn't allow you to do the same thing ???