1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by ComputerNovice, Jun 8, 2022.

1. ComputerNovice

ComputerNovice

Operating System:
    Windows 2008
    1. When can you give the CD-R a name? Is it only before the burn takes place & if the CD-R is blank?

2. Will only a finalised CD-R play on a CD player (if it is an audio CD-R)

3. Can you hide / delete / add files on a finalised CD-R?

4. Is there any way of knowing whether a data or audio CD-R been created?

5. How do you see everything that has been saved on a CD-R including any hidden files?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and welcome ComputerNovice,

1. Not sure, but I think you have to give it a name at the beginning of the burn process.

2. Yes, a CD had to be finalized before it can play on most, if not all, CD players. Finalizing the CD adds the Table of Contents.

3. No, once a CD is finalized, you can't add or delete content.

4. Put the CD into the computer's optical drive and open it. If you see data files, you have data. If you see files that with a cda extension, you're looking at an audio CD. If course you have to have your view set to show file extensions to see the extensions.

5. In your File Explorer, set the View to show Hidden items as shown below.

upload_2022-6-8_9-45-1.png

3. ComputerNovice

ComputerNovice

Operating System:
    Windows 2008
    Many thanks, so if the file is showing cda then it is an audio CD only? I am assuming if there were any other files such as a spreadsheet or jpeg then it would have finalised the disk as a data cd?

If the disk is showing as 0 bytes left but there is only 1 track on there does it mean the disk is finalised / closed?

4. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Yes that is what it means.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and Tony D like this.
  5. ComputerNovice

ComputerNovice

Operating System:
    Windows 2008
    I would like to create a CD-R which has documents and music on it but I would like to be able to play it on a regular CD player. Is this possible? I am not sure if you can play a data cd in a CD player? Would I have to convert the music to mp3 files to enable this?

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Define regular CD player please. Are you referring to something in a stereo system? Some will play MP3s. So you could put some data files and MP3s on a CD. It would be a data disk, not audio. Put the disk in a CD player that is capable of playing MP3s and it’ll play the MP3s. The data files will be ignored. That’s my guess.

IJAC likes this.
  7. ComputerNovice

ComputerNovice

Operating System:
    Windows 2008
    Sorry, yes I meant a stereo system but the music tracks wouldn’t be mp3, they are saving as .cda or is this not possible to play unless it’s only audio tracks on the disk?

8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    You can't mix data and cda files. It just won't work. Well, I don't know how to make it work. You can turn music (cda files) into MP3 files which are treated like data. So you "rip" the music and turn it into MP3 files. Then add your data files. Burn and finalize the CD.

The CD should then mount on your computer so you can see and open the files. Any MP3 files will play in an appropriate music player i.e. Windows Music Player (I like VLC Player). If you put the CD in a CD player that recognized MP3 files, it'll play the MP3 files.

IJAC likes this.