1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

CD/DVD Drive Suddenly Switched to "Read Only"

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by OMC_Guy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. OMC_Guy

OMC_Guy

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    This drive (Drive E) always has a CDRW disk in it, used as a backup for various data which is being changed daily... checking info, records data, changes in letters or documents, etc, all of which have given me no problem until this week.

Suddenly everything on the disk is "Read Only" whereas nothing can be changed or added. Going into the drive's properties, then removing the "read only" check from the page brings up a "Access Denied" window which I can click on ignore or ignore all. That clears the "read only" check BUT only until the disk is accessed again or the properties window is opened to double check which reveals that the disk is still listed as "Read Only".

I can use another disk drive (Drive F) in the same computer to format another disk to be used as a large floppy and as long as it remains in that different drive, all is well. I can add info to the disk, change info, or delete info with no problem encountered. The drive folder itself (directory) is listed as "read only" but the info within is not which apparently is common.

However, as soon as I switch this newly formatted, info loaded, usable disk into the problem drive (Drive E), it is suddenly a "read only" disk and there is no way that I can find to permanently get rid of that attribute, the end result being that it is worthless to me.

Switching the disk back to "Drive F" shows that the attributes of the disk are indeed "Read Only" and cannot be changed.

What am I overlooking?

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi. I am wondering if the Disc has been finalised.
    I haven't encountered this problem, so only a guess.:)

3. OMC_Guy

OMC_Guy

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    I do all of the erasing, formatting, etc, using the Nero Express v6 program and have for many years without any problems. There is no mention of finalizing but I assume that is an automatic procedure with the program. This problem is something that has just popped up recently. I'm wondering if something within the disk drive has failed,corrupted so as to have any disk inserted within it as "read only"... but still, I am unable to remove the "red only" attribute. Once set, it appears to be permanent.

4. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  5. OMC_Guy

OMC_Guy

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Okay, I downloaded and ran that program, thank you. The end result was a statement that the drive is not capable of writing and to use another drive. I assume that in essence I'm being told that the drive has failed and to replace it.

6. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi. Looks that way to me. At least by running Fixit we found a potential problem.

7. OMC_Guy

OMC_Guy

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Okay, I'll stick another drive in it as soon as time permits and will be back with the results shortly thereafter.

8. OMC_Guy

OMC_Guy

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home
    Update.......... The CD/DVD drive in question was/is my "E" Drive and I was just about to install another drive, then noticed that it was impossible to format a CD in my CD/DVD "F" drive. The format as a Floppy window simply didn't open as if it didn't exist. Thinking that it was unlikely that two CD/DVD drives could fail at the same time... this led me into my Nero v6 program (format, erase, etc) and after attempting various fixes, I deleted the entire Nero program, then reloaded it from scratch. Bingo, the format window was back and everything functioned normally.

Apparently a Nero program file had become deleted or corrupted somehow when I was in the process of backing up various files. Why a problem with the Nero v6 program would cause one disk drive (E) to change all of its pre-existing files to "read only" and prevent total access to my disk drive (F) is a toal mystery to me... but reloading Nero from scratch cured it all (so far). Guess I'll count my blessings for the time being.

Plastic Nev likes this.
  9. DSTM (Dougie)

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Good that's sorted. Thanks for the update.:)

10. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yeah, thanks for the update. That's one for the notebook. Gotta remember that.

11. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Good bit of detection there and you got it solved!