1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Case Switch

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by link215, Mar 1, 2011.

1. link215

link215

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So i have racked my brain on this one and cant find a solution and i need some professional help. So i am fixing a computer right now for my brother that i built for him 3 years ago. His power supply i thought died because he wasnt getting no power when we hit switch. So i bought a new one and swapped it. Got power back to mother board but now the switch isnt working. I can press the power switch on motherboard and everything turns on fine. I disconected switch from case and tested with multimeter, switch works perfect,checked continuity on wires which also turned out perfect and i also tried to short out power pins for case and nothing happend. What is going on here??? when i turned computer on from mother board and checked voltage across two pins it was 5 volts and dont know if that matters. totally defeated please help!!!

2. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    The Case pins need to be in the right orientation as well as in the right place on the MOBO.
    99% of the time the - will be a black or white wire.
    You need to check in the MOBO manual for the specifics but there is normally:-
    PWR SW - Power switch
    RST - Reset
    HDD LED - HDD Activity LED

Depending on the case there are variations, but if you really struggle let us know the MOBO and the case make/model