1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Canon MP270 Printer Cartridge Life.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Oct 19, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have the above printer. Do not use it a whole lot but on occasion. I was wondering if the cartridges themselves have an "in use" life and should be discarded after a certain period of time in the machine whether they work or are empty or not. I originally just left them in until no longer worked but I think I recall reading somewhere that they should be discarded a certain length of time after opening but have forgotten where I saw this and was wondering what the general feeling or knowledge is about this. If I put them in the machine a certain date then should I discard them on a certain date afterward?? Thanks for any input, suggestions, or advice.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    If they're working, why would you want to replace them?

3. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I do not know. I thought I remembered reading somewhere to discard after certain length of time. Maybe they leak or something. Maybe it was on manufacturer's information to lure you into throwing away when still good and buying new ones. I have always just kept them until printer says "Black or color cartridge empty" then got new ones. Just thought I would get another opinion because I am sure I read somewhere to discard after a certain use period. Does sound sort of dumb.
    If no one thinks or posts otherwise I will just keep on doing as I have.

4. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I understand that the manufacturers put expiration dates on the cartridges for color reasons. They believe, or thing that you should believe, that the color quality diminishes after a certain amount of time. If you're not printing perfect photo prints, who cares if the magenta is off just a bit?