1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

CANON 270 PRINTER

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BGBG, Jun 4, 2018.

1. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I know I have posted some things about this before so ne need to remind me. But I was having trouble with ink tanks leaking and smudging edges of paper with black ink even with genuine Canon cartridges 210 and 211. I had the printer cleaned but never tried to empty the used ink like I read about. Today I was getting smudges and needed to print 25 sheets so I removed cartridges and cleaned them with Windex and a paper towel. I printed and the first two papers had a smudge at top left corner but rest were clean.
    And I believe I read somewhere you are supposed to use up the cartridges in I think 6 months or some number of months which gives me the idea even if full from seldom printing they need to be discarded or they may leak. What to others think of this idea? Any truth to it? Maybe the cartridges, even genuine Canon, go bad after some time and leak even if not empty. I just had that idea today and wondered if anyone else believes it or finds it true. Maybe I keep them too long because not that much to print.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    The cartridges should not leak no matter how old they are.

3. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Bill.
    I take it you have a Canon Pixma MP270. What are the ID numbers on the Ink Cartridges.
    I looked up the Ink Cartridges, and your Printer takes canon cartridges pg 512 and pg 513.
    Not 210 and 211.
    If they are the wrong cartridges, they will leak.
    I have never had an ink cartridge leak, and I have three printers.
    If you have fitted the wrong ink cartridges, then you are going to have ink on your Printer rollers, hence the smudging.

Rustys, Seth Anthony and Tony D like this.
  4. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    This is strange. It IS a PIXMA MP270 series and on back cover of manual it says PG210XL and PG 211XL or PG210 and PG211. When I remove the cartridges, the black mostly but not the color much if at all, has ink leaking out and smearing on the bottom R side of the cartridge. I thought I might be keeping them too long and even though ink might still be in them they would start to leak sooner or later. Says to order # 2973B001, 2975B001, 2974B001, 2976B001. I used to get the cheapest then tried to find "genuine Canon" though they cost more. Not a huge problem but there IS some black wet short lines of ink at the bottom of page or top Left corner on some of the printed pages. This time I thought I would try removing and cleaning the cartridges with Windex. I have had 2 Canon printers and an Epson with not ink leakage. I really like the PIXMA and I would not want to get rid of it and I do not print very much. Just printed 25 pages and the ink lines wre minimal or nonexistent but there were still a few there. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong lie keeping them too long ( a built-in flaw of mine).
    Maybe the original cartridge recommendations have changed? Maybe even because of this.

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
  6. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You know what BG?

I'm pissed of at the cost of new cartridges and the whole price gouging BS of new cartridges. I mean, the mark up is insane, and many times, the new cartridge doesn't even work because the printer in of itself is crap.

I'm thinking my next printer will be a laser jet, but at the same time, I'm thinking that it will just be the lesser of the 2 evils:)

7. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    LaserJet is the way to go. Get a monochrome LaserJet. If you want to print a photo, go to your local drug store.

8. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    So blunt and so true.

I love this Tony guy.

9. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I do have a Brother HL-L2340DW which uses a ribbon but it does not print color or scan or make copies like the Canon. I first bought the Canon cartridges then started to buy cheaper ones. Then it was said that refilled and remanufactured were not a good idea so I started trying to buy the more expensive 'genuine Canon' type. The ink leak is not really a real problem but mostly an annoyance. All my printing is mostly for me and I am the only one who sees it. But I wanted to have some other opinions. The Epson was a good printer but it is not USB connected and I used it with my original Compaq 5660 desktop from 1998. Probably both still work but mostly use the Dell and Gateway laptops now.

10. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  11. BGBG

BGBG Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Sorry - I did not know the correct terminology. I find the Brother nice and can print two sided but in black only and cannot scan or copy. That is where I prefer the Canon for color printing, scanning, and copying. My laptops are on desk and I can connect either printer to either PC instantly. It DOES say "Toner Cartridge" on the box....shame on me.