1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Vista use all 4MB of RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rmo555@cox.net, Aug 27, 2009.

1. On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> rmo555@cox.net wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.

--
    Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

2. From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid>

| On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> rmo555@cox.net wrote:
    >>>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >>> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

| Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.

That's NOT what I meant.

--
    Dave

Multi-AV -

3. Tim Slattery

Tim Slattery Guest

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?

--
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)
    Slattery_T@bls.gov

4. Alias

Alias Guest

Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > "Alias" <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:h8p6t2$o5o$1@news.eternal-september.org...<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> "Alias" <iamaliasTAKETHIS@OUTgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:h8olq1$9t2$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Wait until Frank comes back from vacation. He will kick your sorry ass
    >>>>> all over this forum.
    >>>> He will say he has like he always do. Both you and Frank are one trick
    >>>> ponies. You spew out the same garbage day in and day out. I know what
    >>>> your reply will be before I open the post. You help no one here.
    >>>>
    >>>> Alias
    >>> Look who's talking. You start 95% of the fights. You are the one
    >>> pushing Ubuntu in the Vista group. How STUPID is that?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> Interesting when you consider that the noise level in this group is
    >> practically nil when you and Frank aren't here.
    >>
    >> Alias<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > That isn't true. You still post when we are away. Therefore the noise
    > continues.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

It's the difference between a light rain and a tornado, with you and
    Frank being the tornado.

Snip the usual parroting of lying FUD.

Alias

5. On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    wrote:
    > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > >How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    > quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.

--
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

6. On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> rmo555@cox.net wrote:
    >>>>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>>>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>>>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >>>> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > That's NOT what I meant.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

You were supposed to chuckle...

--

7. frog1

frog1 Guest

well i am responding to email no clue to who or what

--
    frog1

8. From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid>

| On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:
    >>>> From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> rmo555@cox.net wrote:
    >>>>>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>>>>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>>>>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >>>>> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> That's NOT what I meant.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

| You were supposed to chuckle...

I'm sorry... I only snickered :)

--
    Dave

Multi-AV -

9. From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    | wrote:
    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> >How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    >> quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

| An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.

Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.

What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?

--
    Dave

Multi-AV -

10. frog1

frog1 Guest

bill thanks for the mail,but i did not post "read somewere"

--
    frog1

11. On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:21:13 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    > From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
    >
    > | On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    > | wrote:
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    > >> >How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >> Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    > >> quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > | An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.
    >
    > Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.
    >
    > What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

I'm a terrible person to ask. <g> I've been terrible at making
    forecasts like this in the past, and have almost always been
    dramatically wrong.

--

12. On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:
    >>>>> From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>> rmo555@cox.net wrote:
    >>>>>>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>>>>>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>>>>>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >>>>>> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> That's NOT what I meant.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> You were supposed to chuckle...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > I'm sorry... I only snickered :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

OTOH, you made me LOL.

I do prefer Marsing to Snickering, by the way, but Almond Joy is also
    OK.

--

13. Pauli Taglia

Pauli Taglia Guest

frog1 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
    >
    >bill thanks for the mail,but i did not post "read somewere"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

He wasn't writing in reply to you, idiot.

14. On 9/16/09, the entity Ken Blake, MVP wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:21:13 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
    >> <!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    >>> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >>>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?
    >>>> Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    >>>> quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>> An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.
    >>
    >> What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

> I'm a terrible person to ask. <g> I've been terrible at making
    > forecasts like this in the past, and have almost always been
    > dramatically wrong.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

BTW, in talking about memory, engineers tend to use 1024 as the
    'thousands' multiplier, so 2^64 should probably be called 16 EB (if
    that's the right abbreviation). Disk drive makers (and marketers), of
    course, like the number 18 that you used, as do physicists, who still
    think a thousand is 10^3 :)

--

15. From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid>

| On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> On 9/16/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:
    >>>> From: "Gene E. Bloch" <letters@someplace.invalid><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> On 9/15/09, the entity David H. Lipman wrote this:
    >>>>>> From: "Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>>> rmo555@cox.net wrote:
    >>>>>>>> I read somewhere (in a magazine) that there was a way for 32 bit Vista
    >>>>>>>> to use all 4 MB of RAM - but I can't remember where I saw it. Anybody
    >>>>>>>> know?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>>> Of course you don't remember where you saw it. "It" was 4 GB.
    >>>>>>> Megabytes, Gigabytes, pretty soon you're talking real memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>>> Bill<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>> So....<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>>> Here's one way: (2**64 - 1) bytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>>> That's NOT what I meant.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>> You were supposed to chuckle...<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >> I'm sorry... I only snickered :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

| OTOH, you made me LOL.

| I do prefer Marsing to Snickering, by the way, but Almond Joy is also
    | OK.

| --
    | Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

--
    Dave

Multi-AV -

16. On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:46:54 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
    <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote:
    > On 9/16/09, the entity Ken Blake, MVP wrote this:<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:21:13 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    > > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    > >> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
    > >>
    > >>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    > >>> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    > >>>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?
    > >>>> Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    > >>>> quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>> An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.
    > >>
    > >> Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.
    > >>
    > >> What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > <!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    > > I'm a terrible person to ask. <g> I've been terrible at making
    > > forecasts like this in the past, and have almost always been
    > > dramatically wrong.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    > BTW, in talking about memory, engineers tend to use 1024 as the
    > 'thousands' multiplier, so 2^64 should probably be called 16 EB (if
    > that's the right abbreviation). Disk drive makers (and marketers), of
    > course, like the number 18 that you used, as do physicists, who still
    > think a thousand is 10^3 :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

Note my standard message on of subject of whether a gigabyte is
    1,000,000,000 bytes or 1,073,741,824 (in particular, note the last two
    sentences):

All hard drive manufacturers define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while
    the rest of the computer world, including Windows, defines it as 2 to
    the 30th power (1,073,741,824) bytes. So a 120 billion byte drive is
    actually a little under 112GB. Some people point out that the official
    international standard defines the "G" of GB as one billion, not
    1,073,741,824. Correct though they are, using the binary value of GB
    is so well established in the computer world that I consider using the
    decimal value of a billion to be deceptive marketing.

--

17. Tim Slattery

Tim Slattery Guest

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >| An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

If it used the full 64-bit address space, then it would address 18
    exabytes. But the current implementations use 37 bits and address
    only(!) 128GB.
    >What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

Who knows? I'm constantly amazed by this industry.

--
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)
    Slattery_T@bls.gov

18. Ken Blake, MVP wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:46:54 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
    > <letters@someplace.invalid> wrote:
    ><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green <!--/coloro-->
    >> On 9/16/09, the entity Ken Blake, MVP wrote this:<!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:21:13 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    >>> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>>> From: "Ken Blake, MVP"<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:11:04 -0400, Tim Slattery<Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>> "David H. Lipman"<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >>>>>>> How do you represent (2^64)-1 in Bytes ?
    >>>>>> Lessee....that works out to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. That's 18
    >>>>>> quintillion and change, I think. Is the term for 2^64 bytes "exobyte"?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.
    >>>>
    >>>> Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.
    >>>>
    >>>> What do you think of the chances we hit that ceiling in say 10 years ?<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >>
    >><!--coloro:darkred--><span style="color:darkred <!--/coloro-->
    >>> I'm a terrible person to ask.<g> I've been terrible at making
    >>> forecasts like this in the past, and have almost always been
    >>> dramatically wrong.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>
    >> BTW, in talking about memory, engineers tend to use 1024 as the
    >> 'thousands' multiplier, so 2^64 should probably be called 16 EB (if
    >> that's the right abbreviation). Disk drive makers (and marketers), of
    >> course, like the number 18 that you used, as do physicists, who still
    >> think a thousand is 10^3 :)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >
    >
    > Note my standard message on of subject of whether a gigabyte is
    > 1,000,000,000 bytes or 1,073,741,824 (in particular, note the last two
    > sentences):
    >
    > All hard drive manufacturers define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while
    > the rest of the computer world<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

<pedant>
    except networking, which also uses the decimal definitions.
    </pedant>

, including Windows, defines it as 2 to<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue <!--/coloro-->
    > the 30th power (1,073,741,824) bytes. So a 120 billion byte drive is
    > actually a little under 112GB. Some people point out that the official
    > international standard defines the "G" of GB as one billion, not
    > 1,073,741,824. Correct though they are, using the binary value of GB
    > is so well established in the computer world that I consider using the
    > decimal value of a billion to be deceptive marketing.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

I consider it accurate communication. YMMV.

Carl
    EAC Liar, Damned Liar, and Statistician

19. From: "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >>| An "exabyte" (note the spelling) is 2^60. 2^64 is 18 exabytes.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    >>Ahhhhhhhh That's the term. Win64 addresses 18 Exabytes of memory.<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

| If it used the full 64-bit address space, then it would address 18
    | exabytes. But the current implementations use 37 bits and address
    | only(!) 128GB.

Really ?

I did not know that. Do you have a MS URL about that Tim ?

--
    Dave

Multi-AV -

20. 7vis

7vis Guest

vista can use well over 4GB but it depends upon how ur system is
    configured. because windows can run well on 2-3GB ram, but were it
    starts to use more ram is the apps that are running simultaneously
    (background services and foreground services). therefor u would see no
    difference in haveing 4GB ram on a 32bit even if it could work.
    If speed is wat u want try getting a faster processor(best solution) or
    a HDD(preferably a SSD). even if the SSD is small just get a back up HDD
    to store ur stuff. and have the SSD as the main drive.

i got a 16GB SSD in my laptop...boots up in 24sec. much better than the
    250GB HHD that took 117secs.

--
    7vis