1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I add more Ram?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by grantiman, Feb 4, 2020.

1. grantiman

grantiman Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have windows 10 Dell computer:
    Dell 9010 SFF Computer i5-3470 Quad Core 3.20Ghz 8GB 500GB SSD Drive Windows 10
    I have 8 GB of ram now and would like to expand it to 16 GB, is this something that could be done and could I do it myself?

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Go to www.crucial.com. Have it scan your computer. It'll tell you what you have and what upgrades are available.

Usually, 8 GB RAM is enough. You may have more demanding needs such as gaming, running virtual machines, video or photo editing.

3. grantiman

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm sorry, I should have said this is the computer I'm buying so I can't go to the link you sent because I'm still using my old computer. I don't do gaming or streaming but I do video and photo editing sometimes. Someone told me if I was going to buy a windows 10 computer I should at least go with 16 GB and 5oo GB SSD, they said that would work best for storage and speed, are they correct?

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Can you send a link to that computer? I see several Dell Optiplex 9010s out there. You can probably go to 32 GB RAM, but can't be sure without knowing more about the machine.

Windows 10 is good with 8 GB RAM, unless as I said you have more demanding requirements.

A 500 GB SSD will give you more speed, but will sacrifice storage capacity.

What are you using now? And how happy are you with its performance?

5. grantiman

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    To try and make a long story short, the computer I have now is a Optiplex 755 windows 7 and is obsolete with no security updates. I was looking at 2 new computers, Dell Optiplex 3060 and Dell XPS 8930 VR Ready, both with 16 GB ram and 500 GB SSD, they were both around $800-$900 in price. Got bad news yesterday, my vehicle won't pass inspection because of a crack in the frame and now looking for a newer vehicle too so my budget just went down on buying a computer. Sending you the link of the computer I am now looking at, it is refurbished but the computer I have now was a refurb and it's been running without a single problem for 12 yrs now. I'd rather buy new but at this time it may be hard to come up with the $900 and I really need a newer computer seeing I have no security updates now. The refurb is only $250 around the same price I paid for the one I have now, maybe I just got a lucky one. It also only has 8 GB of Ram, that's why I was asking if I could increase it to 16 GB. If you think a reburb is a bad idea let me know, maybe I can come up with the extra money for the new ones I was looking at first. Thank you for all your help...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...New-500GB-SSD-Drive-Windows-10-WiFi/599949483

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks for the link, it helps. This most likely will support 16 GB RAM. Can't be 100% sure without having the Service Tag number. However I searched for Dell 9010 SFF Computer i5-3470 Quad Core 3.20Ghz and found that some are selling with 16 GB RAM.

The Optiplex is Dell's business line. They are generally better machines. So probably worth purchasing refurbished. They are coming off lease. As such, they will be available from other vendors. So check around.

7. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-9010-(small-form-factor)
    I think it will work for what you want to do. I would try it with the 8 GB of ram if you need more down the road I put a link in here for you. Like Tony said 8 GB is the sweet spot for Windows unless you are going to do more demanding things. I have a Lenovo desktop with 8 GB of ram and it is pretty speedy. I have a customer that buys nothing but Dell refurbished computers and he has had great luck. I believe that with the SSD in it it will run just fine they do add speed. Also it has a quad core processor running at 3.20 Ghz that is a decent speed , so all combined I believe it will work for you.

Tony D likes this.
  8. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    You're tight on cash but want to get a new computer because Window's 7 no longer gets security updates. Correct?

If so, why not just upgrade the 755 to Window's 10? It's free and easy to do.

9. grantiman

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I found a few Dell 9010 towers with 16GB and while searching I also found a nice Dell 9020 too. Great reviews on the seller, 1 yr parts and labor warranty, and I can also get a 3 yr protection plan. Would the Dell 9020 be comparable to the Dell 9010, not sure if the 9010 is a better computer. Sent a link for the 9020 if anyone has time to check it out, I really appreciate all the help..

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPle...dell+optiplex+9010+sff&qid=1580991007&sr=8-18

Seth, I would try to update my computer but it's getting old, only 4 Ram with a disk hard drive, would like to upgrade to the new SSD with more Ram...

10. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    It looks like the 9020 has a newer generation CPU it is a 4th gen Intel i5 so it will be one generation newer than the 9010. Other than that and more memory there isn't much difference. So I believe the 9020 would be a better choice but that is up to you. Also like Tony said Optiplex is Dell's business class so they are a better choice. You just have to chose which one will meet your needs. I believe either one will work but the 9020 has more memory and will save you upgrading later on.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Tony D likes this.
  11. grantiman

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I think I may go with the Dell 9020. The Dell 9020 comes with Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home, is Windows 10 Pro going to be more difficult or harder for me to use?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows 10 Pro will by no harder to learn than the Home version. It just has more features that are mostly aimed at the corporate environment. You probably won't even see those features.

Seth Anthony and IJAC like this.
  13. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    No there isn't much difference windows 10 pro may give some added features and you are able to defer updates for a period of time if you want to. I have pro on my windows machine and home on another they work the same you will be fine.

Seth Anthony likes this.
  14. grantiman

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I really appreciate all the help and advice. My computer will be here in the next couple days and as soon as I get it set up I'll you know how it's working. Thanks again everyone...

15. IJAC

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    You are welcome best of luck on the new computer.

16. plodr

plodr CHF Adviser CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    LJAC's link to crucial works whether you own the computer or just thinking about buying. Here are the results for an Optiplex 9010 SFF computer.
    upgrades.jpg
    32GB is the max.