1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Burning Programs Not Seeing Burner

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by timh1111, Mar 6, 2013.

1. timh1111

timh1111 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    OK, keep in mind it's been a few weeks since I burned a CD or DVD. I recently downloaded and installed RealPlayer PLUS 16. RealPlayer is now NOT seeing the the burner nor is Windows Media Player. I uninstalled the drivers and searched for hardware. I got the response that the drivers may be corrupted or missing. The burner is a Lite-On CD/DVD RW and the drivers should be for iHAS 324-98Y BL1Y. I searched the net but it seems all the sites want me to download and install a search tool then pay for the download. I know better than that!! Any links to download the drivers? Thanks :)

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Does anything play on that drive? I mean, can you put a disk in the drive and see data or music on it?

3. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Since the main change was the install of Real Player I'd remove the thing to see what happens.

I always recommend to NOT install Real Player but to rather use Real Player Alternative.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm

I also reccomend the same for the Apple plugin, QuickTime.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

Along with that, whenever a device drops out, I recommend, as a first step, to go to Devive Manager and remove the device. Then re-boot the system and allow Windows to re-install drivers. You name a specific driver name for the drive but specific drivers should not be needed. Windows default drivers for an optical device usually tend to do just fine.

4. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    @Dragnet, after the "Real" install, the burner would spin up but nothing after. @Jay, I went to the DM and removed it and rebooted. On reboot, it saw the hardware and when it tried to install it, told me the driver was missing or corrupt. I have been able to find the driver and now Windows media player will play a disk but will not burn a disk and RP still doesn't see it. Darn Realplayer, everything was just fine till I upgraded it!!!

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi Tim. Can you system restore to immediately before the upgrade?

6. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    I tried that as one of the 1st steps DSTM. Jay said something about using the installed drivers in the DM but am not sure which one to choose :/

7. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I would get rid of real player permanently.I don't have it and I can do just about anything.
    I would try VLC media player. Has it's own codecs and plays just about anything.
    http://www.videolan.org/

8. timh1111

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory:
    8 Gigs
    I'll try that DSTM. It sucks that I paid the $29.99 for the upgrade to RP-16 though. I'm actually looking at backing up my HDD to my external HDD and getting a new CPU. That will be my next post ;)

9. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    VLC player is a great player and so far I haven't found a file it won't play. Unfortunately a player is all it is, so won't burn disks. However I got round that with Infra Recorder which is a neat little burner that can burn any type of disk. Also free.
    So Like DSTM, I also got rid of the free version of Real Player that came bundled with the operating system on my machine.

Infra Recorder=

http://infrarecorder.org/

Nev.