1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Burner Has Stopped Recognizing Dvd - R (Rw)

Discussion in 'DVD/CDROM Drives' started by BeeCeeBee, Mar 26, 2011.

1. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Before I begin please do not suggest that I update my drivers or run the Microsoft Fix. (Been there done that)

I was about to replace my burner (laptop) or rather just buy an external. My problem is that it simply stopped recognizing blank DVDs. I have always used -R. I just happened upon a blank +RW on the shelf. I put it in and it spun up immediately. So I went and purchased a few cheap +R disks and they too spun up correctly. So it seems that I have no issue with +R but -R is now a no go.

Since I know it is not a driver issue and I doubt it is firmware, is there a hardware answer for this. I know that the opticals for a DVD and CD are not the same but this one stumps me. (or am I wrong about firmware?)

2. Alan

Alan Inactive

Have you accidently checked 'Ignore Media Type' on your burning software?

3. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I don't get that far Alan, it is not just an issue of the burning software it will not even show a DVD+R as being in the drive whether it has been written on or blank. I just finished burning a +R and it was just fine.

4. DirtyPolo

DirtyPolo Inactive Staff Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl
    CPU:
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
    Memory:
    2GB OCZ Reaper + 4GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card:
    ATI Radeon HD6950 - Unlocked to 6970.
    If you are sure that it is not a software issue Barry, in terms of drivers, then the only thing remaining is a fault in the laser inside the drive to which the cheapest and easiest option is a physical replacement, or external substitute after possibly trying a lens cleaning kit... sorry for bringing an old thread back but it was unanswered [​IMG]

5. Dalo Harkin

Dalo Harkin Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    ASUS - are there any others worth buying?
    CPU:
    Q6600 at 4.0Ghz per core (Watercooled)
    Memory:
    OCZ PC8500 4x1GB sticks
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung - all the way
    Graphics Card:
    XFX 260GTX rev 1
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 600Watt
    +R disks are more compatible and have been around longer than the -R variants.
    From what you have said it does sound like a firmware problem, but also remember that there are so many variants of formats for DVD and CD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD