1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Black horizontal lines on laptop screen.

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by James Yankovich, Mar 18, 2018.

1. James Yankovich

James Yankovich Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have an Inspiron 17 5000 series laptop. About 4 to 6 weeks ago flashing black lines started to show on the screen. It is random. Most times when I first lift the lid. The lines never are on the password screen. Only after I log in and my desk top comes up. If I tap the laptop lid or move the position of the screen they go away, but sometimes comeback. Like I said random. I am thinking this may a connection issue or the screen itself. Any ideas on what the problem is.

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yes, if flexing the screen changes things, it's most likely the screen. However it could be the connection.

Here is the service manual for the machine http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-17-5767-laptop_service manual_en-us.pdf

You may want to check out the section on removing the display. It's around p 90. I've once (only once) had a machine where the connector on the back of the display was not inserted properly. That caused the problem. All other times however, it was a bad display.

3. James Yankovich

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks very much for the info. I will check out the link you provided.

4. James Yankovich

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Where would be the best place to purchase a new display?

5. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I just get them from eBay.

6. James Yankovich

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Update on my screen problem. About 5 times now since the last post the screen gets the same flashing black lines but sometime will freeze up and slowly turn almost all white. You can still hear sound from the computer. If I reboot everything comes back up fine. I tried the external monitor test but when I plug in a hdmi from tv the screen appears to reset and both monitors are perfect. Tried this 3 times. Same always. Do you still think its the screen not hardware. Also ran a butch of tests from the dell site every passed.

7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Does the screen still change if you flex it? That's a sign that the screen has issues.

8. James Yankovich

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It changes only if the black flashing lines are there. If the screen freezes and starts to turn white it don't. If freezes have to reboot or plug in hdmi to get it back.

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Sounds strange. Looking again at your initial post, it sure seems like the screen is bad. If it's not the screen, it may be hardware in the computer, i.e. RAM or graphics chip. You can't do anything about the graphics chip. You can however swap out RAM. Maybe try just reseating the RAM modules.