1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Be Cool, Keep Cool

Discussion in 'Specific Hardware Issues' started by Drew, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Having done the ritual earlier this evening it spurred mentioning it here, as a reminder.

1st electronics despise water, dirt & heat. The water part is another discussion, LOL. So, to be cool, cannot have dirt AND need air(flow)... bit like an engine, that way... don't block the air(flow) and things work well and are happy.

End Users oft don't think of, actual, physical dirt & dust inside their machines nor how quickly it accumulates. Also, many Users do not run a temperature gauge. The running temp of a machine can be/is substantially, significantly lowered by cleaning (inside) a tower. Said gauge can be/give a hint that things are not breathing very well; so can a drop in performance. However, don't let it come to such 'red flags'... pick consistent time periods not more than 1 month, less is ok, too... just make it a scheduled calendar thing.

And, no, one does not need to be in a construction zone, live on a dirt road or in a windy desert for this to be necessary. It is just a regular maintenance thing. A plethora of things contribute... normal daily living, household pets, open windows & doors in summer but, it, really, doesn't matter, any of it. The things become dirty, clogged, plugged up, warmer than should be, sluggish and worse case scenario, if bad enough, shut machines down. And many don't think of it... out of sight, out of mind. They gather dust & dirt inside and WE have to not miss that one.

It IS important, makes terrific difference in the state of the machine and performance. Remember it as part of standard best practice & TLC. Small, occasional (BUT REGULAR) task but, big rewards & value!

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.
  2. Kenny94

Kenny94 Registered Members

Operating System:
    OS X
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    iPad Air, HP Chromebook and Compaq laptop with xp
    You are so right on "Be Cool, Keep Cool" last week I detailed a car for a customer. Well, afterward she ask if I knew about computers? Her dell computer tower was very slow and the fan kept running. I notice when I cleaned her car there was cigarettes smoke odor. I open up her dell computer tower and man... There was black tar-dust and yuck gummi cake all in the fans! I took my sidekick air blaster and blew it all out. Afterwards, her computer has three times the speed at least 3 times! Go to shows "Be Cool, Keep Cool" can make a difference in your computer performance.

3. Drew

Drew Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Kenny,

On the heels of your story, I'll relate one. Few years ago I had a client whose machine kept shutting off all by itself (image that). There had been no power events... I had my suspicions... The layer of solid dust atop the heat-sink fins, between there & the FAN, as in, cooling fan... but, of course, said cooling air has to be able to move and can't do that with a bloody layer of dirt in the way blocking it. HEAT. No cooling, no air flow, just HEAT, the CPU reaches threshold temp. and, thank you very much, shuts off "to prevent damage" or just cus it's too damn hot.

Oh yeah, btw, it did not shut off anymore after I cleaned it.

Moral is obvious :)

"Be Cool, Keep Cool"

Kenny94 likes this.