1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery Dying Out Quickly

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by FloydPalmer, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FloydPalmer

FloydPalmer Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I've had an Acer Aspire 5535 for around 2 years I'd say, and I've noticed over the last 6 months or more that my battery is dying out very quickly. It'll be on charge for a while and I'll use it with it not on charge, and it'll require charging within 10mins of use. And sometimes, it gives a very brief warning to plug into the mains and then it'll switch off.

I use the laptop on my bed but I place it on a clipboard to avoid it heating up etc but not sure whether this has speeded up the battery's usage or not.

Is there anything that can be done or will I need to get a new battery?

Thank you.

2. BeeCeeBee

BeeCeeBee ADMINISTRATOR IN MEMORY

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Are you having any problems with the laptop when it is plugged in and the battery attached? If the battery shows a 100% charge or close and it still dies quickly when being used, you are probably out of luck.

3. FloydPalmer

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It's fine when plugged in. No issues. Just when it's not connected to the mains, it runs out quickly and or switches off after giving a very brief warning to plug in. Sometimes the yellow x box near the battery appears and I'm able to plug in asap. But sometimes, not that lucky.

4. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Normally when you mouse over the little icon in your taskbar it will give you the percentage of battery charge even while you are running off the mains. Leave it plugged in for an extended period and check the charge. If is not taking a charge it could be the power adapter but if it show a high charge around 100% and still dies off quickly then the battery is probably the culprit. It is rare for a power adapter to run the laptop properly but still not charge the battery unless the battery is defective. You can try another power adapter but it is an unlikely cause. Unlikely but possible.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    When I bought my HP Laptop I was told to completely drain the battery regularly otherwise the battery life will be shortened.

6. FloydPalmer

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    That's exactly what happened. Full charge and then died out within 16minutes of usage. So it's a battery issue I'm assuming? What sort of cost would I be looking at and would tech-shops have them in stock? I can't imagine they would for specific laptops.

7. BeeCeeBee

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  8. Match

Match Registered Members

Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Abit AN52
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon dual core 5000+
    Memory:
    4 Gig Corsair