1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatic repair not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tony D, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hi, I have a Windows 10 machine that keeps coming up with Preparing Automatic Repair, Diagnosing your PC, and then Your PC did not start correctly.

Thru the Troubleshooting / Advance options, I tried System Restore to an earlier date. It said the restore was successful. Then I got the same old Preparing Auto Repair which didn't solve the issue.

I also tried Safe Mode - Same issue - It comes with Auto repair which finishes but doesn't fix the problem.
    I tried Uninstalling the latest quality update. It completes, but same issue
    I removed the drive and ran a chkdsk /r - no issues found. It's still not booting properly.
    I ran sfc /scannow /offbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=e:\windows with the drive connected to another W10 machine. (The partition with Windows was e.)
    I ran a Malwarebytes Antimalware scan with the drive attached to another W10 machine.

I have USB install media drive. I understand I can use it to repair W10 the PC and keep the user files. I'd rather keep both user files and applications.

Any ideas please?

2. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    If you're referring to the user installed apps (as opposed to Windows apps) then those will be removed regardless of whether you use the internal W10 reset or a W10 USB stick.

What about trying another restore, or cloning it in case of a possible hard drive issue?

IJAC likes this.
  3. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Thanks Seth.

Yes, I did try Safe Mode. No joy there.

I haven't tried another System Restore. I can do that later this afternoon when I get back home.

I've run chkdsk /r twice now, once while it was in the machine via cmd prompt and once out of the machine connected to another machine via USB adapter.

Not ruling out hard drive - it's a 1 TB Seagate. I'll make an Acronis Image of it. Acronis usually complains is the disk isn't right.

IJAC likes this.
  4. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    I'm thinking it's a problem driver (it's typically the video driver), or the hard drive. Your options are quickly being narrowed down to a reset, which will remove the person's installed apps. Ugh.

BTW- I wouldn't trust chkdsk on a positive result, but ya, cloners and imagers will accurately complain.

IJAC likes this.
  5. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    I've had this problem before and automatic repair never seemed to work for me. I had to to do a reset and reinstall user installed apps. Hope the clone works for you like Seth said your running low on options.

6. Seth Anthony

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    My concern is System Restore completed successfully (a rarity lol), but Windows still won't start. That pretty much means it's probably not a driver issue, because the SR would have removed the drivers that were installed after the SR date. However, it's still worth trying the next latest restore point if there is one.

7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Yup, Yup, and Yup. I fired it up. Same thing - does auto repair and it doesn't work.
    Advanced Options / Troubleshoot / System Repair - this time is says there are no restore points.

Just started making an Acronis True Image. So far it hasn't complained. 10% thru the process.

IJAC likes this.
  8. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Here's an update. The Acronis True Image completed successfully.

I got it out of doing an automatic repair loop by getting to a command prompt and typing
    bdcedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

On boot it said the file \Windows\System32\drivers\eppdisk.sys is missing or corrupt.

Interesting - so now we know what the problem is. I replaced that file with the one from my W10 computer. The file was of a different size, but worth a shot. No joy. It now says Config\System is missing or corrupt

I put the original eppdisk.sys file back. Now it still says Config\System is missing or corrupt. That's a registry file I believe. So something got changed in that file so that it's not happy any longer.

I can no longer do things in the Advanced Options because when I try something it wants me to log in with an Administrator account. It should show the user account, but it doesn't. It just says there are no Administrator accounts on the machine.

In the old days you could replace the registry files in the config folder: system, software, sam, security, and default with ones from the repair folder. I haven't looked into how that is done on W10. It's late. I'll look at it tomorrow.

IJAC likes this.
  9. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  10. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    thanks plodr, but I believe the registry is corrupted at this point. Restoring from an image made earlier. My plan it to then reset keeping files.

IJAC likes this.
  11. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yup, sometimes restoring an image and doing a few updates saves a lot of time and headaches rather than trying to fix something.