1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Asus Laptop Battery Deaths

Discussion in 'Power Supply - PSU' started by MaryS, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MaryS

MaryS

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello, I have an ASUS G73JH-A1 Laptop, that is about two years old.  The battery it came with died about six months ago, rather suddenly.  Recently I bought a new battery off Amazon.com which lasted for about two weeks before it suddenly died as well.  I have ruled out the AC adapter being an issue.  I have made sure to apply all updates available and that has not helped, nor has thoroughly cleaning the computer of dust.  I suspect the sudden battery deaths may be related to a software update?  Before purchasing the second battery I did a reinstall of Windows 7 and was still installing updates at the time.  Has anyone else had this problem with ASUS laptops or Windows 7?  

2. Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR IN MEMORY

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to CHF.

The battery in a laptop is only connected to software by the power management of Windows itself. By that I mean the different options for dimming the screen, or turning over to standby to save power etc. So I doubt that any software is responsible.
    How did you check out the AC adapter in order to rule that out please?
    The battery you bought through Amazon, I would send it back though providing we are sure it is not charging or only taking a small charge and the computer turns off quickly.
    The other option could be a fault on the charging circuit inside the laptop, some laptops do have a separate circuit board that can be replaced, others the circuit is built into the main motherboard and requires the entire motherboard replacing.
    I am afraid that testing that to find out for sure is not something you can do at home though, so it would need to go to a repairers.

Other members and staff may have some alternative idea's, so check back again to see before actually taking it in first.

Nev.

3. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    With a 2 year old laptop, you won't be able to send it back for repair if indeed the problem is in the charging circuit or AC adapter. Well, you could send it back, but it'll cost ya.

Here's the problem: heat is bad for batteries and charging a battery heats them up. Heat causes them to deteriate faster than if they weren't subject to heat. Note; I've heard that even leaving your laptop battery in a hot car is bad.

They say these new laptops don't overcharge batteries, but I don't believe it. I will however say that my 1 year old ASUS laptop running Windows 7 shows that the battery isn't charging after it's reached 100%. That's a bit reassuring. And I must say that i'm still getting a few hours out of that battery. But I admit, I don't use that laptop much.

When I'm not using my laptop, I disconnect the AC adapter once the battery is charged to prevent possible over heating.

4. jaylach

jaylach Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I also have an Asus laptop and have zero issues with the battery.  The battery will be a year old in January and I get about 5.5-6.0 hours with a USB cooling plate in use.  Advertised battery time is 7 hours so I figure that I'm right there considering the power the cooling plate uses.  The battery is an 8 cell.  The battery has never come out of the system and the system gets used a LOT although usually on AC power. 

One thing that I did that may or may not help in preventing over charging is to set the Asus power utility to consider the battery charged at 95%.  This setting is not exact and there are times now and then where the battery does indeed charge to 100% but these times seem to be when it starts charging already at near 95%.  If I run the battery down, which I do about once a month, to 20% or lower it will stop charging right at 95% just about all the time.  Once in a while it may go to 96% or 97%.

One thing that you might try is to totally discharge the battery.  <span style="color:rgb(128,0,0); Do not do this in Windows as it will cause an improper shutdown .  Boot to your BIOS without the AC adapter and let the system just sit there until it dies.  The battery SHOULD be 100% discharged.  Leave the system turned off and plug in the AC adapter, do not start the system.  Let it charge for about 4 hours.  That should be more than enough time for the battery to fully charge.  Now see how much life you get.  If it remains extremely short it is an issue with the power brick, the battery or the charging circuits.  A fully equipped repair center should be able to test all three.  I must say that if the system runs without issue when on AC I doubt very much that the power brick is the issue.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have read that your particular Asus has a very demanding Graphics card and can use the battery up in as little as 1 hr 20 mins.
    I can't be sure the battery you bought has the exact specifications as the original battery.