1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.

Are budget laptops durable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by SirArchibald, Jun 20, 2018.

1. SirArchibald

SirArchibald

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I'm looking into buying a new computer and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. I just need one for word processing and Internet browsing, though I'll get one able to stream music and videos and to play DVDs if it's practical to do so. I'm looking into the extremely cheap laptops - mostly the ones below £250 - but based on the reviews, I get the impression that these laptops break very easily, and don't last very long. Are budget laptops usually this short-lived and unreliable? There would be no point in me buying one if I have to buy another only a couple of years later.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi and welcome to Computer Help Forums.:)
    You get what you pay for. Quality costs.

3. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    The first thing to keep in mind is that for what you and 99% of the population use their computer for, you don't have to worry about the specs. Even the most basic laptop is far more powerful than what you need.

As far as quality goes, I've been finding it's a crap shoot despite how much you pay. I've also noticed that the higher priced laptops will have better specs (again which most don't need), but usually don't have better build quality or components.

What screen size are you looking for, do you want to hook it up to a tv?

Do you have links to some laptops you might be considering?

4. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    We own two cheap netbooks. No optical drives. Both Acers. They have 11" screens. The first one was purchased in August 2011 and the second in August 2013. Both work fine though the one from 2011 is slow because it has a low end CPU. It is fine for our needs because my husband uses it in the tv room to read news stories, read and write emails and search while he is watching tv. The slowness he deals with because it is not his "productive" computer. He uses a desktop computer with Office to do his Word and Excel work.

Both mainly stay in our home so I can't speak about someone who carries a laptop daily back and forth on a commute to work. I do have a case so if the power goes out for hours, we grab one of the netbooks and go to a free wifi hotspot to use the internet.

I suspect the cheap laptops don't come with DVD drives. If you attach a portable DVD drive by USB, it will probably play slower than an internal drive. I'm not sure because I don't play DVDs through my portable DVD burner.
    Our netbooks come with an sd slot. I put movies from DVDs on sd cards and play them that way. I can also travel lighter because a card will hold lots of movies and I don't have to carry lots of DVDs with me.

5. Seth Anthony

Seth Anthony Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Altaire 8800
    CPU:
    Modified Texas Instruments calculator
    Memory:
    2 transistor tubes
    Hard Drive:
    pen and paper
    Graphics Card:
    TV ready
    Power Supply:
    Mouse on a wheel
    Good point on the optical drive plodr - especially when people see the laptop on the shelf and it looks like it has an optical drive, but alas, it's a "dummy" drive.