1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple ipad help please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Tony Loly, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Tony Loly

Tony Loly Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Can anyone suggest the best way to move my apps from an old ipad to my brand new one ? I should mention that I am not tech savvy so need clear instruction. I have usb cables & a desktop PC which I assume will be required.
    Thank you for reading.

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Backup your iPad to Apple's cloud. Then when you get your new iPad, restore it from Apple's cloud. If you buy from an Apple Store, they will probably do it for you. Note that your iPad is probably already set up to backup to the cloud automatically. You can check by going to the Settings section and click on your name in the upper left. Then click on iCloud. Look at the bottom of the first section. There is an option to turn iCloud Backup ON/OFF.

You can also backup and restore using a computer. Install iTunes on your computer and connect your iPad to the computer. Fire up iTunes, if it doesn't come up automatically when you connect the iPad. Perform a backup.

I suggest that you backup to both the cloud and to your PC. Two backups are better than one. If you run into a problem with one backup, there's another to turn to.

Here are Apple's instructions for backing up an iPad to the cloud and to a PC. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211228

Here are Apple's instructions for restoring an iPad from a backup. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

IJAC and Seth Anthony like this.
  3. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks so much, all done thanks to your clear advice.

Just found one problem...........only a couple of my music albums have come across?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I'll bet the ones that came across are ones the you purchased from Apple or ones they have in their library.

If you backup to the cloud, music that is not in Apple's library don't get backed up. So if you purchased the music elsewhere or ripped them from your personal collection of music, they may not show up. I'm pretty sure if you backup and restore using your computer, those music files will come over. I haven't done that in several years and things change, so don't quote me on that.

IJAC likes this.
  5. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Yes, I think that is the case. Unfortunately I cannot connect the new ipad to my PC as unlike the old ipad the lead does not have a usb on its end. For the same reason I cannot connect one ipad to the other??

6. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    IJAC likes this.
  7. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
  8. Tony Loly

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Why do they do this?
    One spends enough upgrading to new versions without the hassle & cost of simple accessories no longer functioning.
    Sorry but I refuse to add to my already considerable outlay on their product just to enhance their profits, its not on!

9. plodr

plodr CHF Advisor CHF Advisers

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    They are trying to standardize things.
    See this https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/...r-usb-c-micro-lightning-connector-smartphones

Advantages: https://blog.ugreen.com/benefits-of-usb-c/

I bought an adapter to change my micro USB to USB C. Some of our devices use micro USB and some use USB C. I carry a cable and car charger in each car and I'd prefer to carry one cable rather than two. The small adapter lets me do that.

USB adapter.jpg
    At the time I bought it, Walmart was closing out an old model so I paid 75ยข for each one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Seth Anthony likes this.