1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Am no longer Admin (Win 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Barry, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi a long story and am now unable to perform any actions on my Desktop PC (Win 10), was my wife's Pc so changed to Admin as a new user,and now am very limited to what I can do?. When going to accounts there is no option (family and other users) so can't switch back to the original. No longer can I access anything (Don't have permission) have spent hours and hours trying to access anything. When clicking on an exe for example it used to say "Do you want to this app to make changes) the window would have YES and on it would go now the window has no YES option.
    So in desperation tried to format the hard drive using DBAN and do a clean install of Windows, but boot to DBAN it says is starting,but nothing happens. I also can't get into SAFE mode from troubleshooting, or system restore either. Obviously, because I am no longer the Administrator my choices are really null and void. I realize I have stuffed up and am Computer literate, even entered the bios to see if can change any settings there, thought there might be a way to format the HD in there but no luck. have given up now and don't know what to, any HELP or advice most welcome, thanks for reading. Barry in Australia

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    No need to format the drive to install Windows. Boot to the Windows 10 install media and install the OS.

Barry and IJAC like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks, Tony you are a genius, days and days have been driving me nuts, but your solution fixed it, amazingly although was a new install C: drive everything on other Local D: was left intact, now just installing software and programs, etc ,cheers mate your blood is worth bottling (Aussie saying) for a good bloke!

4. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Just keeping it simple. Best wishes for an error-free Windows experience.

IJAC and Barry like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi Tony just an update, PC working fine, and all software is now installed. But for some reason can't get it to BIOS like before, press Delete or F2 got me in, but neither works now, my BIOS is LEGACY.

Tried this.
    Select Start > Settings > System > Recovery.
    Next to Advanced startup, select Restart Now.
    Under Choose an option, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings, and then select Restart.
    But no UEFI Firmware Settings?...so just wondering what would have changed with fresh install of Windows?
    Thanks again.

6. IJAC

IJAC Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    I have a Asus prime Z270A MB
    CPU:
    Intel i5 Quad core
    Memory:
    Rip Jaw 32 GB
    Hard Drive:
    Samsung Evo 500 GB SS
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R7 260X/360
    Power Supply:
    750 Watt Corsair
    Sounds as if your bios is set to legacy that may be the reason it doesn't show up as UEFI. You should be able to still get in by pressing Delete or F2 though. You could try turning off fast start up in the settings.
    How to enable and disable fast startup on Windows 10
    1. Right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Search.

[​IMG]

Right-click the Start button. Click Search.
    1. Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    2. Click Power Options.

[​IMG]

Type Control Panel. Click Power Options.
    1. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    2. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

[​IMG]

Click Choose what the power buttons do. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    1. Click Turn on fast startup (recommended) so that the checkmark disappears.
    2. Click Save changes.

[​IMG]

Click Turn on fast startup. Click Save changes.
    If you want to re-enable fast startup at any point, simply repeat the steps so a checkmark appears next to Turn on fast startup.

Tony D and allheart55 (Cindy E) like this.
  7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    ^^^ What he said.

IJAC likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Yep did that, no change..thanks anyway:boohoo:

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    So you reinstalled Windows and now you can't get to the BIOS settings. If you disconnect your hard drive/SSD, can you get to the BIOS? Just trying to rule out some hardware issue.

allheart55 (Cindy E) and IJAC like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Thanks Tony for reply,I don't really want to get inside the desktop computer and do what you suggest, the Bios is set to run (First boot) CD Drive...so if want to install anything from or use an image CD there is no problem. Sure it is annoying somewhat not being able to boot to the BIOS but I can live with it, once again thank you for your help and patience much appreciated.