1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I In Serious Danger Here?

Discussion in 'General Malware And Security' started by Steve223, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Steve223

Steve223

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    I was using BlogSpot as a place to preview the prototype of my website, as it was free. And the way it was set up, it wasn't indexed by search engines. So, thus I am thinking that it's pretty unlikely anyone would even see it in the first place.

Anyways, since my business will have my contact info when I launch it, I put my cell phone number on the contact section of the prototype site. Again, I doubt that anyone would even see it. And even if they did, I didn't think that a cell phone number without anything else was much of a concern.

I gave my mother a link to the prototype site, and she saw the contact information there. And she became panicked. Saying that she is "concerned about my life". She says that people could start "harassing and threatening me" because of this.

And essentially saying that criminals could somehow happen across that, see the cell phone number, and that the number being there (on the site that isn't even indexed by search engines and I didn't post any links to) could cause "all kinds of bull**** to happen". And that she was panicked "because of my life".

Is she just being paranoid or am I in serious danger here? If so, what could happen? And if something were to happen, what could I expect? The number was up there for probably a month or so on the BlogSpot site that was not indexed by search engines.

Though, I suppose since it was technically part of the "internet" even though not indexed by search engines and likely not visible or at least not easily visible someone could see it. Thus, some criminal out there could potentially have my cell phone number. Because she says that even though it's not indexed by search engines and I didn't link to it anywhere that people who are up to no good very well may have managed to find the cell number, because they have ways of "getting that sort of thing".

What could someone do with only a cell phone number? And what would be the likely motive for them to threaten and harass me? My mother seemed very confident that "those types of people could think of things that you couldn't even imagine". And that "all kinds of bull****" could evolve as a result of this. She seemed to feel that this could end up truly ruining my life.

Is she right about this? Is there a real possibility that something could come of this? Again, the site wasn't indexed by search engines. And the only info they'd have was the cell phone number. No birth dates or anything related to banking or anything like that.

If this is something to be concerned about, what types of things could happen? And what exactly would be the motive for them to threaten and harass me? Are the things that my mother was saying accurate?

Or do I have nothing to worry about? Because I honestly wouldn't have thought that I did, until she was saying this stuff. I'm not very familiar with computer stuff in general honestly, so I figured I'd check if this is something to be worried about.

Also, I'm not quite sure how someone would even find the site if it isn't indexed by search engines and I didn't link to it. And even if somehow by some fluke, someone happened to enter in that exact URL and saw it, I wouldn't have thought that they'd really be able to do anything with it.

Am I missing something here? Because my mother seemed very confident that this was serious. And that she is truly worried about my life and my future because of this.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I think you're fine. However, to be sure, contact the police. They should be pretty knowledgeable about these matters