1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding a 2nd HD

Discussion in 'Hard Drive - HDD' started by scotto58, May 13, 2020.

1. scotto58

scotto58 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Haven't been on here in quite a while and I need a little help/guidance.

I have an older custom built tower computer I recently resurrected. Here's the basic info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name SCOTT-681D0E851
    System Manufacturer ECS
    System Model nForce3-A
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2009 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/16/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name SCOTT-681D0E851\scott & edna
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.70 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.35 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive for storage purposes. My original is a Western Digital WD800 80GB IDE drive. The second drive is a Seagate ST3120025A 120Gb drive. The Seagate shows up in CMOS setup but does not show as a second drive in Windows Explorer or System Information/Drives. See below
    Drives

A:
    Description 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive

Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 74.52 GB (80,015,491,072 bytes)
    Free Space 61.26 GB (65,776,467,968 bytes)
    Volume Name
    Volume Serial Number 3400B6D3

Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive F:
    Description Removable Disk

Can anyone help me as to why the 2nd hard drive doesn't show up?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Scott D. Orbaker

2. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    It's showing up in the BIOS. That would mean that it's connected properly and that the Master/Slave/Cable Select setting on the drives are correct.

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Under the Storage area, click on Disk Management. Does it show up there? If it does, it probably needs to be formatted. If it doesn't show up here in Computer Management, I'd say the drive is faulty. Try another drive.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Rustys, starbuck, IJAC and 1 other person like this.
  3. scotto58

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Tony D.
    Thanks for the help. I've been in contact with the person I bought it from a couple times. I started formatting the hard drive this morning. It was going slow so I left it alone for a while. Went back to check and had a "Blue Screen of death" Did not write down what it said. I restarted the computer but it wouldn't come up even in "Safe Mode". I unhooked the new drive, set the original as master and it still won't boot.Any ideas(I know, the original drive probably fried right?)

Scott

4. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    So you have the same hard drive (Western Digital WD800 80GB IDE) as in your first post connected as the Master. Then you connected the same Seagate ST3120025A 120Gb drive that we suspected was faulty as a Slave or maybe you have them both connected as Cable Select and using the proper Cable Select cable. You then booted the computer.

The computer booted and you were able to access the Seagate, probably via Disk Management. You then initiated a format of the Seagate. While it was formatting the Seagate, the machine blue screened.

Is that what happened?

Now you've disconnected the Seagate and the machine will not boot. Does it get to the point where the board's logo shows on the screen? When you see the logo, that's when the computer is doing its Power On Self Test (POST). After a successful POST, the machine then looks for instructions from a boot device. If no device is found, you'll usually see a message or a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen.

If the machine doesn't get thru a POST, you have to eliminate any potential faulty hardware. Disconnect everything you can except for what's needed to get the machine running. That means disconnecting any expansion cards (network, modem, etc.). Also remove any drives that are not needed - like your D, E and F drives. You can just disconnect the cables. Disconnect the mouse. See if it gets thru a POST. A bad keyboard can prevent a POST. Disconnect the keyboard. You should get a message that no keyboard was detected.

Seth Anthony likes this.
  5. scotto58

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You have the first part correct.
    I just tried what you suggested, unhooked any unneeded hardware with no change. When I turn it on, it gets to the screen giving the options to start in Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Networking; Safe Mode with Command Prompt; Start with last known good configuration; Start Normally. No matter which option I try, it cycles back to the same screen.