1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Account Name

Discussion in 'General Software' started by biferi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I have Win7. 64 Bit and when I got it I made my Admin Account Roberts PC and I made my Limited Account Family PC.

I went into Control Pan and Changed my Admin Account to 1. Word RobertsPC and I Changed my Limited Account FamilyPC.

But if I Open Windows Explorer they still show up as 2 Words Roberts PC and Family PC.

What did I forget to do?

2. Tony D

Tony D Super-Moderator Super Moderators

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    So the account names changed but when you went into C:\Users, you see the old user folder names. That the way it goes. Windows keeps the original names in the User directory, but changes the account name in the Control Panel. When you click in the orb, you see that the account name has changed, but Explorer says differently.

You need to have Windows change the user profile name. Here's a registry hack I found. Don't know if it works.
    https://www.repairwin.com/how-to-rename-user-and-user-folder-in-windows-7-8-10/

If you do try it, I'd first create a new admin account. We will use that in case things don't work. Create a System Restore point. Run the registry hack. If all works out, delete the admin account you just created. If things don't work out, you can get into that newly created admin account and do a System Restore.

Alternatively, you could create a new admin account and transfer your files to it. Then delete the original admin account using the Control Panel/Users.
    Do the same with the limited account.

3. biferi

biferi Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thanks for the help.