1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitor Screen Staying Black, plz help

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by Taniora, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Taniora

Taniora

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey everyone,
    so as the title says, my monitor is simply not working. It is a crossover 290m (2560x1080) and im trying to use it with my Alienware 15 laptop. However i saw recently on an old ad for the monitor that says it does not support laptops, however im hopeful there is some workaround out there! The monitor only has a Dual link DVI port so i have purchased an adapter to use it with my HDMI cord and the HDMI port on the laptop. When i plug it in and turn the monitor on, the LED on it goes blue for a second, the screen flickers once then the LED goes red and i get the black screen as if it is not on. I have also noticed that every few minutes the LED goes blue again for a second then back to red, as if its trying to connect but cant.

My laptop however does recognsise it. I believe its being powered by the intergrated intel HD4600 rather than the GTX 980m as i read that on this laptop the ports do not connect directly to the GPU. This is quite an old monitor however so i think the intel should have the power to run it. It shows up in device manager as generic pnp monitor, however under inspection i see that in the "events" tab it says "Device not migrated". Under the intel graphics properties it shows as QHD290 as its display name. I cannot seem to get it to work and its really frustrating. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Main Computer: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z P8Z68-M PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.00GHz
    Memory:
    16.0GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT
    Hard Drive:
    111GB SSDSC2MH120A2, 931GB WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0, 3726GB HMS5C4040ALE640
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Two DELL P2415Q (3840x2160@60Hz)
    Power Supply:
    Silverstone 1200W Certified Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Silent Edition
  3. Tony D

Tony D Administrator Administrator

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello and Welcome Taniora,

It could be the monitor or the laptop's HDMI port. Do you know if either of those are functional by testing with other equipment?

4. Taniora

Taniora

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Cheers for the reply. Yes have used all other equipment with other PCs and works fine. Still can't seem to figure this out though.

5. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Do you get a display on you Laptop screen when the external monitor is connected?

Have you tried the Windows Key + P to switch through the display selection?

6. Taniora

Taniora

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hey there, yes laptop screen works fine when connected, have tried windows + p but still get nothing. Though as said previously 5he laptop does recognize the monitor which is killing me lol

7. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    Please confirm that the computer's HDMI port works with other monitors. I know that HDMI ports can be damaged by connecting them when the computer/monitor/TV/Roku, etc are powered ON. It's recommended to power down equipment before mating HDMI cables.

8. Taniora

Taniora

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Cheers for the reply. Yes it does work with other monitors, had it connected to one before I purchased the crossover, worked perfectly..

9. Tony D

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional
    I also saw a post, it was on eBay, that this monitor is not compatible with laptops. Don't know why that is, but apparently you have a monitor that doesn't work with laptops.

You might want to look into the Aalienware Graphics Amplifier.
    http://www.dell.com/content/product...ware-graphics-amplifier?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

allheart55 (Cindy E) likes this.