1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiber Optic Broadband Routers

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BLKBRD37, Feb 3, 2016.

1. BLKBRD37

BLKBRD37 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    Pavillion
    CPU:
    Intel 5300
    Memory:
    6GB
    Hard Drive:
    640GB
    Graphics Card:
    Intel GMA 3100
    Power Supply:
    110v
    Last year I upgraded to Fiber Optic Broadband and BT came out and set it up. To say that it has been a great success would be stretching. BT installed 2 extenders - one near the phone line and the other close to my desktop. The extenders broke down after a few months. I replaced them with BT products. That was about 4 months ago so I ordered 2 more extenders but the link to my CP keeps breaking down with the message ''This page can't be displayed". The signal into the phone line is OK. Any comments on this problem?
    Thank you.
    BB

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    The techs here on CHF will need a lot more information in order to help you. The only thing I can suggest with this information is see if there is a update to the extender in the devise manager. Please give the techs all the information you can.
    Example. OS, make and model. Maybe a visit by your ISP would be called for!

3. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. BLKBRD37

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Pavillion
    CPU:
    Intel 5300
    Memory:
    6GB
    Hard Drive:
    640GB
    Graphics Card:
    Intel GMA 3100
    Power Supply:
    110v
  5. BLKBRD37

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Pavillion
    CPU:
    Intel 5300
    Memory:
    6GB
    Hard Drive:
    640GB
    Graphics Card:
    Intel GMA 3100
    Power Supply:
    110v
    My apologies Donetao for the long wait for a reply but I have been trying to see where all this would lead. First of all, thank you for your response to my initial email about the problem. So, let me see if I can condense this. To start with I did eventually use it with the Ethernet cable directly into the phone jack. worked OK but of course I had to take my PC back to where my setup is. Contacted my ISP and after several days when they had done some checking and they then referred me to BT (British Telecom) who provides the phone lines and the extenders. Took several days with them before I got to the right section. Explained the problem - why the extender near my PC is constantly flickering amber on the DATA . They told me it was due to the wiring in my house - house is 35 years old - and I should change to a different socket. Have done that. some improvement there but mouse still hanging up and locking up when I click on something. Then I went into CMD Prompt and did a scan that way. Result was that corruptions were found but some could not be deleted. Tried following the Elevated cmd prompt but could not get that to work on Windows 8.1. I am now waiting to get a Flash Drive with big enough storage to back up my system and go back to when I bought the CP - about 3 yrs ago now. My system is ASUSTeK-P8H61-MX USB3 Rev X.0x -- Windows 8 Upgraded to Windows 8.1 - 3.2 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3470 64-bit - 8 Gb Memory. Just today I did a clean-up of my system and uninstalled some programs. In the process I accidentally uninstalled one pertaining to my Yahoo Mail. Is there any way I can retrieve that? Many thans again for your interest.
    MH

6. donetao

donetao Banned

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Hi! I'm not sure what you deleted concerning yahoo mail. Also not sure what scan you ran in CMD. Are you talking about sfc /scannow? Some times that has to be run 3 times if corruption is found. If you don't have trouble when using a Ethernet cable, my guess is the wireless router. The mouse freezing could be several things. Does if freeze when you are using the cable? Have you considered doing the W10 up grade.
    I will be glad to help you, but it would be better to address one thing at a time. If you're going to back up your system, you will need a 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect!

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Asus M5A97
    CPU:
    Phenon II X4 955
    Memory:
    8 Gigs G. Skill Rip Jaws
    Hard Drive:
    120 Gig Kingston SSD, 640 Gig Western Digital Black Edition
    Graphics Card:
    Power Color HD5770
    Power Supply:
    Corsair TX750
    May I ask why you're using extenders? They normally aren't needed if wifi is used within the house. The errors on the scan would indicate your OS has gotten corrupted so I would suggest going to the hard drive manufactures website and download their bootable diagnostic and run a full scan. If the corruption of the OS is bad enough I would recommend that you backup your important files and do a full recovery.

To reset your PC
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. ...
    2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    donetao likes this.
  8. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    Yahoo mail is not a program do you mean you accessed it with an email program i.e. Live Mail, EM Mail or Outlook?
    If yours is online as is most Yahoo Mail all you have to do is go to Yahoo.com and putting in your user name and password unless I misunderstood something.

9. BLKBRD37

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Pavillion
    CPU:
    Intel 5300
    Memory:
    6GB
    Hard Drive:
    640GB
    Graphics Card:
    Intel GMA 3100
    Power Supply:
    110v
    Thank you. Got it but still having more problems like IE Not Responding - Freeze-ups When I Click on Something and just now when I tried to back up my system using a 64GB Flash Drive I got the message "The specified I/O operation on F: was not completed before the time-out period expired". Frustrating!!!!

10. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    Usually when you get I/O error on can mean that the drive is going bad. Try a different port or USB drive.

Since it us a USB drive could also mean the USB post is bad or going. Is this the only USB drive that this happens on?

Could also mean the USB may have bad sectors on it.

11. Rustys

Rustys Registered Members

Operating System:
    Linux Based
    Compaq H3900 (Windows 2002)
    CPU:
    Intel (R) PXA250
    Memory:
    64 MB RAM 48 MB ROM
    Hard Drive:
    Yes
    Graphics Card:
    4 D
    Power Supply:
    Solar
    You can also reset IE or even try a different browser and see if the same issue happens.

12. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    By any chance are you using any registry cleaners on this computer?

Rustys likes this.
  13. gijoetech1

gijoetech1 Registered Members

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    BLKBRD37 First and foremost you can get your email from Yahoo.com from a web browser I think we all need a little more information from you to your exact question and also we need to know if you are set up with extenders boosters or repeater on your router to give an accurate response need more details thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016